none
Convert trial version to production

General discussion

• Which is the easiest way to convert my trial installation of FIM 2010 to a production version that won't stop running after trial period?
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:09 PM

All replies

• What dio you mean "convert"?  You need to purchase a licensed copy of the product that does not contain a time-bomb to install into your production, and then simply export your settings from your test environment, and then import them into your production environment.  There is an entire step-by-step guide in how to do this on Technet.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Thanks; I had hoped that I'd just be able to enter a valid license code in my trial version. But it looks as if I have to do an entire reinstall?
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:18 AM
  • I have a customer who would like to do some testing / Proof of Concept in their production environment and if they are happy then put the setup in full scale production by purchasing a valid license and extending the scope to the entire production environment.

So there is no way to "just" enter a valid license code and disable the time-bomb'in, then?

Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:25 AM
  • Only a Microsoft Rep could officially confirm this, but my guess is no.  Let's face it, when you install the evaluation it never prompts or contains a screen allowing a key/serial to be entered, so my guess would be no.  I would argue this product doesn't use serials, and that the full versions are just pre-pidded, like the developer copy available on MSDN accounts.  Suggest you contact a MS Sales rep for the Forefront products if no one can confirm this here.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:57 PM
  • I haven't tried it with the RTM trial to RTM, but I did sucessfully upgrade from RC1 to the RTM MSDN . Procedure was to uninstall the synchronization service (but keep the database) and then to reinstall the sync service (and use the old database). For the portal I ran the install again and told it to use the existing database. Seemed to work fine.

As always, backup up everthing first...

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hi, guys...

Thanks for all your input; I put in a request/question through other channels as well and got an answer back, which is similar to what Rex wrote:

"There are two components which will timeout, the FIM Synchronization Service and FIM Certificate Management. The key is in included in the installation so you move from Eval to VL is by uninstalling Eval and install VL media. The configuration is stored in the database(s) so you do not lose any information in the upgrade. As usual, take a backup before you start and make sure you have a copy of the encryption keys for Sync."

So since the customer needs a quick answer, I'll give this a try and hopeful succeed :-)

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Hi, guys...

Just did this in my production environment; had to hurry to be able to answer customer :-). Doing an uninstall and reinstall on the Sync Service removed the trial text from the Help ==> About, so hopefully it has done the trick.

Did a short blog about this (find it at http://granfeldt.blogspot.com/2010/03/changing-trial-version-to-valid-version.html)

Consider discussion closed for now.

(could a moderator turn maybe turn this into a question and close thread?)

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

I was using FIM 2010 R2 trial version for user provisioning cross forest, everything was working fine but fine day found that FIM trial license got expired and sync service was down.

Now we bought the license and downloaded the licensed copy of FIM re-run the sync service setup only and pointed to use existing database, for one day it worked as usual , now i don't know what happened its not creating the users across forest and gives the below error, am using Windows SharePoint Service 3.0

seems SharePoint problem

Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:27 PM