none
Unable to start Project Server Events Service 2010 and Project Server Queue Service 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Thanks for your support in advance!

we couldn't start the below project server services i our development server.

Microsoft Project Server Events Service 2010

Microsoft Project Server Queue Service 2010

We restarted the server  and  Project Application Server in Central Admin but still could not able to start the above services. There is no specific error in the error logs as well.

Periodically the services are being set to Disabled automatically.

Kindly Help.

Thanks,

Durai

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• They will be set to disabled if the Project Server application service is stopped.  Ensure that the Application Service is started on all servers, this starts these services.   

For these services, try the event viewer as well as the ULS logs.  Check the accounts that they are running under.

Let us know how you get on.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 10:47 AM
  • Hi Ben,

We noticed the below exceptions in ULS logs.

Service ProjectEventService14 failed to start in the allotted time

Service ProjectQueueService14 failed to start in the allotted time.

Awaiting for your response.

Thanks,

Durai

Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:48 AM
  • And is there anything in the event viewer?  My suspicion is that the password for the account that is running the service has expired - are you able to confirm if that account is running any other services?

Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Account is not expired and I can log in to the PWA sharepoint site using it.

Please find below is the event logs for Application.

An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:59.6719380. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout..

Below is the event logs for system

The Microsoft Project Server Queue Service 2010 service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

A timeout was reached (24576 milliseconds) while waiting for the Microsoft Project Server Queue Service 2010 service to connect.

The Microsoft Project Server Events Service 2010 service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

A timeout was reached (24576 milliseconds) while waiting for the Microsoft Project Server Events Service 2010 service to connect.

Thanks,
    Durai
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:30 AM
  • Hi Durai,

So you'll need to start investigating the issue with the security token.  It would appear that you have some issues with the infrastructure which are outside of the realm of Project Server. 

Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:49 AM
  • Hi Durai,

I would start by applying the latest SP/CU and re-running the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard on all servers in the farm. It may be that some permissions were not properly set in the first instance on the servers

Paul

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:11 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your support!

I will check it and I will get back to you if I require any help from you.

Thanks,

Durai

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:12 AM
  • Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help!

We have tried this earlier and didn't work.

Thanks,

Durai

Thursday, February 26, 2015 11:39 AM

• Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Friday, February 27, 2015 12:21 AM
  • This could be due to the timeout, configure the following values after appropriate registry backup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922918

ServicesPipeTimeout --> 600000
    WaitToKillServiceTimeout --> 120000

1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2.Locate and then click the following registry subkey: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control 

3. In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

Note If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps: a. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    b. Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER. 

4. Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout & WaitToKillServiceTimeout
    5. Click Decimal, type 600000,120000  and then modify respectively. 

This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.
    6.Restart the computer.
    Friday, February 27, 2015 12:35 AM
  • Hi Srirame,

It works. Thanks a lot!

REgards,

Durai

Friday, February 27, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Hi Durai,

Just curious as how come this didn't work first time round? The steps Srirame provided were that same (Same reg keys changes etc.) that were in the two links I provided before.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, February 27, 2015 7:31 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your support!

I realized that last time I didn't change the type hexadecimal to decimal. so might have not worked.

Regards,

Durai

Friday, February 27, 2015 1:22 PM
  • Hi Durai,

Ahh ok great, thanks for the update!

Glad the issue is resolved.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, February 27, 2015 1:24 PM