Extremely Slow Page Loads RRS feed

• Question

• Thought I would reach out to the experts and see if anybody might be able to point me in a direction as I do not know where to turn next. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

All of a sudden page load times on the primary web app in my SP2007 farm are extremely slow. Making the site almost unusable. Network performance seems fine as does SQL -- no obvious errors in the logs. The problem happens intermittently.

Environment:

•  Win2k3 SP2 servers
       •  1 WFE (VM)
           •  SharePoint 2007 SP2 w/ JUN 2010 cumulative update installed.
           •  Most recent WU patches applied about 10 days ago (suspected cause?)  
       •  1 SQL 2005 (metal)
           •  The content database is 20.7 GB, so it fall withing BPs. 
           •  My DBA has said the DBs do not look overly fragnmented
    •  1 site collection
    •  4 web apps
    •  The VM environment is VMWare vSphere.

Search indexing (full) is disabled; All app pools have been recycled; Warmup scripts have been run; and the server has been been rebooted.

Have anyone run across anything like this before? Can you point me in a direction? Thanks in advance.

Friday, September 3, 2010 8:20 PM

Answers

• I would check performance using peformance counters on the WFE, index server and database server.  There's a couple of counters listed below you should check.

WFE / Index Server

Performance counter                 Apply to process

Processor time                         Total

Memory utilization                     Application pool

Database Server

Memory utilization                     Total

If you notice any spikes, you should check these against any scheduled jobs etc.

Dave

My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, September 10, 2010 3:36 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

At the time of problem i.e. when the page load gets slow, have you tried to access the site from server itself?

Then you can definately minimize the issue to whether there is something going on on the server or in the network.

Also you mentioned there are 4 Web apps, so does this impact all the web apps or some?

Please make sure if there are any scheduled tasks running during the span of issue.

Regards, Rohan
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 1:32 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response. I want to say Yes that I did check performance on the server but I cannot recall off the top of my head right now. When I see the problem happen again I will make sure to check that out.

I miscounted the number of web apps. There are actually five (5)

• Central Admin
    • Main Portal
    • My Sites
    • Sandbox
    • SSP

Only the Main Portal has any significant content

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Hello,

Could you provide some more info about the slow load times?  I believe Rohan asked if this issue is noticeable throughout all your web apps, or if it is only slow on a few pages?

If this is an intermittent issue, only affecting a few pages, I would look at three things: 

1. Closed Web parts (make sure that there are no closed web parts on your page
    1. Query web parts:  Do you have web parts that are running a query, RSS feed, Flash media?
    2. Security:  If you have permissions customized throughout the site, this could be causing performance issues.  Since SharePoint security trims content, every time you load a page SharePoint goes through and removes items you don't have access to.  This isn't an issue with sites with inherited permissions, but if you have highly customized (with regards to security), this could be causing problems.

Chris Caravajal MCTS SharePoint Help
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:36 PM
  • The slowness is intermittent and evident on all pages except the top site (homepage).

While there were a some closed wps on the sites that reported the issue, I removed them when first investigating the issue. No Flash, RSS is enabled but not being used extensively on any pages that I can tell. One sub site does have a QEWP but it has not been modified recently and is running fine.

For the most part security is inherited throughout the site but it has been customized on most of the project sub sites.

I just ran the config wizard to see if anything was out of whack and will monitor the system this AM.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:47 PM
  • If SQL isn't a bottleneck, I would check the physical resources that are available on your WFE server.

You say you have performed an app pool recycle but if you are on 32-bit with, say 4GB of RAM (quite common) you may be eating your memory up quicker than you realise.

I would check:

• CPU utilisation
    • RAM utilisation
    • Disk IO
    It doesn't sound as though the server is overload based on the information you have given us - but that does depend on how many concurrent users are hitting that Web server at any given time.

"SharePoint" items in Central Admin to check:
    • Usage Analysis Process - potentially very resource intensive on your WFE server.
    • Indexing - a full crawl on 20GB of content could have some impact
    I would also have a good thorough look through your ULS and event logs on the WFE server.

Let us know how you get on.

Benjamin Athawes
    Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:45 PM
  • The issue was just reported to me as occurring again. So I checked the server and I cannot acces the sites from the WFE directly either.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I would check performance using peformance counters on the WFE, index server and database server.  There's a couple of counters listed below you should check.

WFE / Index Server

Memory utilization                     Application pool

Database Server

Memory utilization                     Total

If you notice any spikes, you should check these against any scheduled jobs etc.

Dave

My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, September 10, 2010 3:36 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:04 PM