none
FIM 2010 R2 and SQL Authentication RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I am installing just the FIM Sync Service as I have no need for the FIM Service or Portal. That's all good.

Question I have is whether it is possible to install the FIM Sync Service to use SQL Authentication rather than Windows Authentication?

Our network team would prefer the servers (FIM and SQL are different machines) to not be domain joined. Whilst I have read that the Sync Service needs to be a domain account, you can certainly install and run it as a local account if SQL is co-located.

However, in our test and production environments FIM and SQL are separate, so if it is possible to use SQL Authentication to run the FIM Sync Service that would overcome the issue. So is it possible?

Sorry, not been able to find anything specific around this on TechNet or elsewhere.

Cheers,

Martin

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:00 AM

All replies

• Well there is no such option available in FIM.  There are only two options in the installation one using Default and Second using Named instance.  To be able to install FIM Synchronization Service or FIM Service, the account must be a SQL sysadmin. You do not have to be a sysadmin after the installation is complete.

Regards~ Deepak Arora

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:13 PM
  • Hi Deepak, Yeah that's how I've read it, just was hoping there may be a way of putting in a connection string somewhere to use SQL Authentication. Not to worry, I'll have to disappoint our infrastructure people! Thanks for the help! Martin
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:34 AM