none
Need global file / folder exclusion rule for DPM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• There is a specific folder on every server that I would like to exclude from DPM backups.  Currently I see no way to set a global exclusion rule for all systems - I have to go into the Protection Group and uncheck the folder for each protected computer.  Is there a way to set this globally?  

KW

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:14 PM

All replies

• I know of no global option for this. But I need this too :-)
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:49 PM
  • I would like to make this an enhancement request.  Is there an official way to do that?

KW

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Been there..

Not too many possibilites in the PG-wizard is there?

I suppose you could modify each protected servers registry.

hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\backuprestore\filesnottobackup\ containts a predefined list of files and folders that aren't being backed up.

a sample of folders that are already excluded by default are %temp%, softwaredistribution (where all downloaded patches resides), pagefile.sys, kernel dumps and of course smaller but vital locations.

We where initially talking about distributing our own excpetions into that regkey via GPo when we implemented DPM, but ended up excluding manually on the dpmserver-side since we wanted to see the preffered exceptions in a managable way from DPM.

However if your talking about just one specific folder on all servers, that would probably suffice.

Ivarson

• Proposed as answer by Ivarson Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:10 PM