none
Deploy Hyper-V (2012r2) over SMB - Am I understanding this guide right? Home Lab setup question

Question

• https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134187(v=ws.11).aspx

Hi All,

I currently have a single 2012R2 hyper-v host running at home on a windows 8.1 Alienware laptop.  I have 2 Domain Controllers, which also handle DHCP/DNS, a web server, an RDWeb/RDS server, a OpenVPN virtual appliance server etc.  I am a Systems Administrator for a company and I like having a test environment to mess around with.  Now I know I can't mirror my work environment exactly but I wan't to step up my home lab a bit.  The reason being is I have no fault tolerance as far as my hyper-v host goes now.  If I have a single SSD failure right now on my laptop, then my whole environment is gone. 

What I am wanting is a two node cluster with shared storage.  If I understand this link (see link at top of post) correctly I can have the two Hyper-V hosts in a cluster and I can have a single file server which I can enable SMB 3.0 and use this as shared storage?  Am I understanding this right?  The option I am wanting is Single-Node File Server.  

So my plan is to piece together some new hardware to make 3 new servers.  Thinking of going with small  (120GB) SSD's on the two hosts, around 16GB of RAM for each host to start with and for the SMB shares either 3 or 6 1TB SATA drives in RAID5 or RAID6 (if supported by RAID Controller).  Am I understanding this article correctly?  Want to make sure I understand before purchasing all this hardware.  Anyone have an idea?  
    Monday, April 10, 2017 1:08 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can create a cluster with SMB as the shared storage environment.  In your proposed configuration, you still have a single point of failure - your single host file server - but it will work.  On that file server, you may want to consider using Storage Spaces to create fault resistant storage instead of RAID5 or RAID6.

tim

Monday, April 10, 2017 1:13 PM
  • Yes, you can create a cluster with SMB as the shared storage environment.  In your proposed configuration, you still have a single point of failure - your single host file server - but it will work.  On that file server, you may want to consider using Storage Spaces to create fault resistant storage instead of RAID5 or RAID6.

tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.  What is the advantage of using Storage Spaces vs RAID?  I'll go ahead and look that up tonight.  Will there be any performance issues using SMB?  I assume the network (1GB LAN) would def be the bottleneck?  Any tips on implementing?

Thanks!

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Thanks for the reply.  What is the advantage of using Storage Spaces vs RAID? 

Based on my understanding , the difference is RAID controller will handle the disk management and present disks to operating system as logical unit .

Storage space is software solution for disk management , it will consume extra system resources .

>>Will there be any performance issues using SMB? 

If it exists , it might be the network bandwidth (while the network bandwidth less than disk throughput ).

In your case , if the disk throughput is larger than 100MB/s , network might be the bottleneck (sequential access).

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hi Sir,

I'd like to check if you need further assistance .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:22 AM