Windows 7 Black Screen Issue... RRS feed

• Question

• Just had a BSOD (blue screen issue) resolved and now I'm having an issue with the Black Screen.  I have researched tons of different forums, etc. and tried everything and its still happening.  I have already uploaded the most current graphics driver that is available and adjusted my power settings, etc and also tried the shell reset hotfix.  This issue is happening approximately every 2 or 3 times that the computer goes to sleep by shutting the lid or from timing out.  Please help me resolve this if possible....

Oh, and this is not the black screen with a cursor or anything like that and no error messages appear.  It seems that the computer gets stuck before entering sleep mode, as instead of it shutting down, etc.  you can still hear that it is "running" and the light is a solid on light and not flashing or blinking as it does when it is actually sleeping.  When I try to resume or wake it up, nothing works and I have to then force it to shutdown and restart.  Upon restart, I get the usual message about the computer not shutting down correctly and do I want to start in safe mode or start windows normally. 

• Edited by CLD625 Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:01 PM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 6:12 PM

Answers

• That worked

There are multiple issues that might better be resolved by either a repair install or better yet a clean install.  They include

1-net runtime fails to optimize (installed incorrectly)

2-Symantec (needs to be removed and replace with MSE)

3-iTunes remove & re-install

4-These all are timing out gcalservice, cinemanowservice, PIP, IE, Most of the HP bloatware is also hanging. etc.  ALl of these are memory exceptions.  These memory exceptions are what was causing the BSOD's

To check the memory exceptions run these two tests

*If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!!   If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest.
    *Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. http://www.memtest.org 
    *Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
    *Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
    *Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.
    If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is.

*But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.
    *Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.
    *I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    *Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Here is the procedure:

- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    - Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    - Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    *Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    - Select "Finish" on the next page.
    *Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
    *Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
    *If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    *If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

*Further Reading
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, June 14, 2013 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:50 PM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:00 PM
  • everytime I try to upload the zip folder into skydrive, it crashes the internet, saying that it stopped responding and needs to close due to error and reopens the tab.  I've tried several times and even restarted my computer.  Am I able to just upload the original unzipped file and send you that instead?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:38 PM
  • it is only the skydrive site that keeps crashing.  It won't let me upload anything to it... not just that file.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:42 PM
  • CLD625

You can upload it to a different file sharing site like rapidshare. 

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Ok, Thanks.  Hope this is right:

http://rapidshare.com/files/611517212/Errors.zip

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:55 PM
  • That worked

There are multiple issues that might better be resolved by either a repair install or better yet a clean install.  They include

1-net runtime fails to optimize (installed incorrectly)

2-Symantec (needs to be removed and replace with MSE)

3-iTunes remove & re-install

4-These all are timing out gcalservice, cinemanowservice, PIP, IE, Most of the HP bloatware is also hanging. etc.  ALl of these are memory exceptions.  These memory exceptions are what was causing the BSOD's

To check the memory exceptions run these two tests

*If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!!   If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest.
    *Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. http://www.memtest.org 
    *Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
    *Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
    *Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.
    If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is.

*But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.
    *Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.
    *I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    *Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Here is the procedure:

- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    - Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    - Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    *Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    - Select "Finish" on the next page.
    *Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
    *Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
    *If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    *If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

*Further Reading
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, June 14, 2013 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:50 PM