msconfig selective startup RRS feed

• Question

• msconfig is set for selective startup when I select normal startup it will not apply?
    Friday, August 24, 2012 12:57 AM

Answers

• The Task Manager unlike MSConfig doesn't show if items starting from registry are starting from HKLM or HKCU, so this change is loss of functionality and definitely a bad thing because UI changed for no reason, MSconfig is crippled and you must use dumbed down Task Manager to disable startup items.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:44 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• The updated task manager manages which programs start up and which don't. Therefore, selective startup is the normal method of startup in windows 7 if your looking at msconfig. By default, most programs that you want to be running should be running, but if your curious and wish to manage which programs startup and which don't, go to Search>Task Manager>Startup

I think you will find what you are looking for here. Don't let it discourage you that windows 7 operates a little differently than older windows, Change is most defiantly a good thing in this case.

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Friday, August 24, 2012 12:29 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 7:37 AM
  • I was wondering if this was normal for Windows 8 because in Windows 7 that I have normal startup is selected.

Thank you for your help

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:24 PM
  • The Task Manager unlike MSConfig doesn't show if items starting from registry are starting from HKLM or HKCU, so this change is loss of functionality and definitely a bad thing because UI changed for no reason, MSconfig is crippled and you must use dumbed down Task Manager to disable startup items.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:44 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Or try autoruns from sysinternals.. it lists almost everything.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:18 AM