Upgrading 1511 Windows 10 to 1607 Using WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to this for a while. I have a bunch of windows 10 that are still 1511 Build. I want to upgrade them to 1607 but I don't want to do it individually as it takes time to re-image, back up and apply the change. I want WSUS to do that so that I can put all PCs in a group and apply the upgrade.

My questions are:

1. If I can do it from WSUS, what updates do I need to approve to upgrade to 1607 from 1511? Is there any pre-requisite 1511 updates I need to approve to make sure update can work, if so what are those.

2. If it's not easier to do from WSUS, is there any quick and better way to upgrade to 1607 rather than re-imaging, backing up and re-applying the change.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

WSUS

Friday, January 5, 2018 1:31 PM

All replies

• I'd like to know this too.

I am in the same position, I can see many 1607 Pro that are set to decline on my WSUS server but want to enable them on a test OU.

Friday, January 5, 2018 7:41 PM
  • I also just posted this in TB303's thread.

You can go from Windows 10 any version directly to 1709. Each Windows feature upgrade is actually a full-blown installation of an OS, so no prerequisites are needed from the client side.

Upgrades from WSUS
    -------------------

If you are going to handle upgrades from Windows 10 to Windows 10 latest streams in WSUS, there are 2 things to do on Server 2016.

1. In Products/Classifications, make sure to check off the Upgrades box or Windows 10 Upgrades will not be available to approve.
    2. You also will need to add a MIME type for *.esd as application/octet-stream at the top level in IIS. (2016 may already have this, but there has been mixed feedback as to whether it's there or not)
        To do this: Open IIS Manager > Select the server name > From the "IIS" section in the centre of IIS Manager, open "MIME Types" > Click "Add..." >
        File Mame Extention: = .esd
        MIME type: application/octet-stream

After that, approve the feature upgrade to your test groups, and they should automatically start downloading the files right away (Click the WSUS Server name and look at the download status section for info on when it's finished and how much to go).

Also

Please have a look at the WSUS Automated Maintenance (WAM) system. It is an automated maintenance system for WSUS, the last system you'll ever need to maintain WSUS!

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-wsus-automated-maintenance-formerly-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Friday, January 5, 2018 8:32 PM
  • Hello,

We can upgrade to Windows 10 1607 by Windows Update. 

In addition, you may upgrade to Windows 10 1703 or 1709 directly. 

With WSUS server, we can approve feature updates to Windows 1709 to all those Windows 1511 clients, and then they will install it and upgrade to the new version. 

If you do not want to use WSUS, you can check for updates, and then select feature update to Windows 1709, and install it. This needs to be done on every your Windows 1511 machine. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 3:01 AM