USMT with MDT 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys

I'm trying to create a TS in MDT 2013 just for Capturing the user data and settings on the network without installing a new OS.

I created a new TS and picked "Standard Client Replace Task Sequence" and Disabled "Wipe Disk" cause I want to keep user data after the backup.

The problem is that when I run the script LiteTouch on the host machine, it will run without any problems, I was able to backup users profile on the network

\\Servername\DeploymentShare$\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs 

But when I boot up the machine from the network (WinPE) and trying to use the same TS, it fails with 8 Errors (5456): Unable to determine Destination, Partition, and/or Drive

for the cs.ini, I'm using the default settings.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:24 PM

Answers

• That's only part of it, there are things to consider with offline migration.

Offline Migration Problems

Problem: Some of my system settings do not migrate in an offline migration.

Cause: Some system settings, such as desktop backgrounds and network printers, are not supported in an offline migration. For more information, see What Does USMT Migrate?

Resolution: In an offline migration, these system settings must be restored manually.

Problem: The ScanState tool fails with return code 26.

Cause: A common cause of return code 26 is that a temp profile is active on the source computer. This profile maps to c:\users\temp. The ScanState log shows a MigStartupOfflineCaught exception which includes the message "User profile duplicate SID error."

Resolution: You can reboot the computer to get rid of the temp profile or you can set MIG_FAIL_ON_PROFILE_ERROR=0 to skip the error and exclude the temp profile.

Problem: Include and Exclude rules for migrating user profiles do not work the same offline as they do online.

Cause: When offline, the DNS server cannot be queried to resolve the user name and SID mapping.

Resolution: Use a Security Identifier (SID) to include a user when running the ScanState tool. For example,

Scanstate /ui:S1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021*

The wild card (*) at the end of the SID will migrate the SID_Classes key as well.

You can also use patterns for SIDs that identify generic users or groups. For example, you can use the /ue:*-500 option to exclude the local administrator accounts. For more information about Windows SIDs, see this Microsoft Web site.

Problem: My script to wipe the disk fails after running the ScanState tool on a 64-bit system.

Cause: The HKLM registry hive is not unloaded after the ScanState tool has finished running.

Resolution: Reboot the computer or unload the registry hive at the command prompt after the ScanState tool has finished running. For example, at a command prompt, type:

reg.exe unload hklm\$dest$software

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mohammed.AL Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:10 PM

All replies

• The Standard Client Replace Task Sequence is made for backing up user data.  It's not a complete task sequence for reimaging a computer.  Once you have your system backed up, run your standard TS to deploy your image, and supply the path to your user data to restore data during image deployment. As long as you don't have SkipUserData=YES configured in your custom settings, you should be prompted for a data path to handle restore data during image deployment. 

If you want to automate this process, you will need to configure user data folder name and user data directory on the filer, this article is good for that - https://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/mdt-2010-user-state-migration/

When I configured it for my current environment, I used the Standard Client Replace sequence to create a generic Backup Computer TS, I used the Post Apply OS sequence and created a generic Restore Computer TS. That way the technicians could always backup or restore with USMT and have it be fairly automated. The standard TS has user data steps already preconfigured, so these paths can be used, OR if the standard TS is run in a refresh scenario, the data can be hardlinked to make migration happen in a few minutes instead of hours. Hope this helps.

Ryan

• Edited by MrBrooks Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Thank you Ryan.

I'm trying to backup user data and settings through "Standard Client Replace Task Sequence" that's all what I want to do, I don't want to deploy any images after that or do any other steps.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:22 PM
  • Ahh I see, you should be running this specific TS from a refresh scenario, meaning inside of Windows at the local admin account(backup all users) or user account(backup current user).  Starting this process in PE is going to run into a wall when it hits bitlocker or any sort of security on the local disk.  When it's started from inside of the OS, it can suspend bitlocker because the drives already opened.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Thanks Ryan I really appreciate your help.

That's right, running TS from host machine is working normally. 

If this is the case, how can the Standard Client TS can backup user data locally or on the network without hitting a wall or any sort of security ?

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:57 PM
  • If you're using bitlocker, you would need to unlock the drive first with the unlock commands. It would have to be a custom solution as far as I know and I've never experimented with PE unlock and backup.  I went with refresh state backup/restores because it has access to more user configurations that we wanted to ensure were copied.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 12:23 AM
  • I created a TS to do this sometime back. As mentioned use the Client replace template.
    I added two task sequence variables that makes it work better.

Skip Final Summary - Task Sequence Variable: SkipFinalSummary  Value: YES
    Shutdown when finished - Task Sequence Variable: FinishAction   Value: SHUTDOWN

This will cause the machine to automatically shutdown as soon as it finishes capturing the data.

A few things to note. You need to run this from within Windows and not WinPE so that BitLocker can be disabled if present and so that USMT can get all that it can (Offline USMT captures don't get everything, it's in the documentation). Another thing to note is that you must run this from the local Administrator account, not just any account that's in the administrators group.

Make sure your CustomSettings isn't set to Skip UserData. Set your ScanStateArgs the way you want it and if you've created any custom xml files to use with USMT, specify that in the custom settings using for example:

USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=MigUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles003=Custom.xml

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:30 PM typo
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:30 PM
  • I ran manage-bde -status command to see if the drive is locked or not, and it looks like it's unlocked

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>manage-bde -status
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 6.1.7601
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Disk volumes that can be protected with
    BitLocker Drive Encryption:
    Volume D: [SECOND]
    [Data Volume]

Size:                 232.88 GB
        BitLocker Version:    None
        Conversion Status:    Fully Decrypted
        Percentage Encrypted: 0%
        Encryption Method:    None
        Protection Status:    Protection Off
        Lock Status:          Unlocked
        Identification Field: None
        Automatic Unlock:     Disabled
        Key Protectors:       None Found

Volume C: [OSDisk]
    [OS Volume]

Size:                 232.34 GB
        BitLocker Version:    None
        Conversion Status:    Fully Decrypted
        Percentage Encrypted: 0%
        Encryption Method:    None
        Protection Status:    Protection Off
        Lock Status:          Unlocked
        Identification Field: None
        Key Protectors:       None Found

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 4:56 PM
  • That's only part of it, there are things to consider with offline migration.

Offline Migration Problems

Problem: Some of my system settings do not migrate in an offline migration.

Cause: Some system settings, such as desktop backgrounds and network printers, are not supported in an offline migration. For more information, see What Does USMT Migrate?

Resolution: In an offline migration, these system settings must be restored manually.

Problem: The ScanState tool fails with return code 26.

Cause: A common cause of return code 26 is that a temp profile is active on the source computer. This profile maps to c:\users\temp. The ScanState log shows a MigStartupOfflineCaught exception which includes the message "User profile duplicate SID error."

Resolution: You can reboot the computer to get rid of the temp profile or you can set MIG_FAIL_ON_PROFILE_ERROR=0 to skip the error and exclude the temp profile.

Problem: Include and Exclude rules for migrating user profiles do not work the same offline as they do online.

Cause: When offline, the DNS server cannot be queried to resolve the user name and SID mapping.

Resolution: Use a Security Identifier (SID) to include a user when running the ScanState tool. For example,

Scanstate /ui:S1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021*

The wild card (*) at the end of the SID will migrate the SID_Classes key as well.

You can also use patterns for SIDs that identify generic users or groups. For example, you can use the /ue:*-500 option to exclude the local administrator accounts. For more information about Windows SIDs, see this Microsoft Web site.

Problem: My script to wipe the disk fails after running the ScanState tool on a 64-bit system.

Cause: The HKLM registry hive is not unloaded after the ScanState tool has finished running.

Resolution: Reboot the computer or unload the registry hive at the command prompt after the ScanState tool has finished running. For example, at a command prompt, type:

reg.exe unload hklm\$dest$software

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mohammed.AL Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:10 PM