Windows 10 Start Button Frozen RRS feed

• Question

• After installation of Windows 10, all seemed to be working. A few days later, Start button is freezing and I get the Critical Error message which is useless because nothing changes when I sign out and restart as dirrected by the Critical Error message.  In fact, it seems that all of my task bar is frozen.  Clock is working, but clicking on calendar does nothing to show months. Sound can't be clicked on to adjust it in and out of mute.  I'm very tempted to return to Windows 7.  Can someone help?
    Friday, November 20, 2015 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, could you please tell me the exact error message which you received? Before we know that, you could try the steps below to fix it.

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard.

2. Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.

3. Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.

4. Now paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

5. Go to the folder under “C:/Users/name/AppData/Local/” and delete the TileDataLayer folder. Remember to clean the recycle bin after you deleted the folder and restart.

Hope that will help you.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:41 AM

All replies

• Windows 10 issues are appropriately addressed in the Windows 10 IT Pro Category Forums

This is a Windows 7 forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, could you please tell me the exact error message which you received? Before we know that, you could try the steps below to fix it.

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard.

2. Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.

3. Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.

4. Now paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

5. Go to the folder under “C:/Users/name/AppData/Local/” and delete the TileDataLayer folder. Remember to clean the recycle bin after you deleted the folder and restart.

Hope that will help you.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:41 AM
  • Yes!this worked. Thank you!!
    Monday, May 27, 2019 1:10 AM