Windows Server 2008 R2 administrative tools and server manager not working... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I'm getting very wearied problem while try to access any administrative tools or server manager option in my Windows Server 2008 R2 Edition, It just keep popping when ever I try to access any option on server... 

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Jagdish,

Since it is a cluster server try to repair OS before reinstalling OS. Even though OS repair cause same problem, go for re-installation of OS.

Moreover its not an easy task. Please perform below steps and give a try.

• Move all resources to other node and make it passive. Other node should work properly and should not give any problems. 
    • Then remove problematic node from cluster and then install OS.
    • Once installation of OS over, install same windows updates, hotfixes, service packs as the other node have.
    • Run cluster validation wizard search for errors/warning and remove, if any?. If you don't find any error/warnings then add node to cluster.

Anyway, post a new query in cluster forum to get better recommendations.

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, November 29, 2013 2:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

• Logon to safe mode and check for the difference. You get same error in safe mode too?
    • run sfc/scannow command and check for errors if any?
    • Tried to go back LKGC and check. Make sure that your server(if its production server) have latest backup copy, prior to go back LKGC.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Hi Ravikumar,

I tried with sfc/scannow also, but didn't worked for me...

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:32 AM
  • You mean, don't find errors ? If you server is ok you can get below output. Alright have you tried other two steps?  

Note:  Run command with elevated rights,

C:\>sfc/scannow
    Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Yes, ravikumar I didn't find any error while performing above steps..
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Can you confirm once , is this error "parameter incorrect" getting when are you connecting remote server or when we try to open local ATs

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:22 AM
  • Here is the snapshot of mine system,

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:27 AM
  • I agree, Do you see any error/warning messages in event viewer. Event viewer help us to troubleshoot more on this.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:31 AM
  • As you I already mentioned in the post I'm not able to open any of the administrative tool even server manager also I'm notable to open it.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:39 AM
  • As you I already mentioned in the post I'm not able to open any of the administrative tool even server manager also I'm notable to open it.

Its ok, try below steps once again.

• Logon to safe mode and check for the difference. You get same error in safe mode too?
    • Tried to go back LKGC (Restore to last known good configuration) and check. Make sure that your server(if its production server) have latest backup copy, prior to go back LKGC.

If nothing helps, re-installation of OS help. Hope you know this is the final/ultimate step.

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, November 25, 2013 1:51 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

If the issue persists after trying all the suggestions above. Maybe an in-place upgrade is the final alternative before you have to reinstall the operating system.  

More information:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, November 25, 2013 1:51 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Hello Friends,

I forgot to tell you, the server I mentioned above is in cluster environment, If I re-install the operating system will it cause any data lose to my server or do I need to configure all the thing from the start.

Please let me know is any critical thing happen when re-installing updates. 

Monday, November 25, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi Jagdish,

Since it is a cluster server try to repair OS before reinstalling OS. Even though OS repair cause same problem, go for re-installation of OS.

Moreover its not an easy task. Please perform below steps and give a try.

• Move all resources to other node and make it passive. Other node should work properly and should not give any problems. 
    • Then remove problematic node from cluster and then install OS.
    • Once installation of OS over, install same windows updates, hotfixes, service packs as the other node have.
    • Run cluster validation wizard search for errors/warning and remove, if any?. If you don't find any error/warnings then add node to cluster.

Anyway, post a new query in cluster forum to get better recommendations.

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, November 29, 2013 2:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:52 AM