none
DPM 2012 Tape backup keeps failing Job waiting for tape with Tape Optimization RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2012 SP1 with Rollup 3.

I have got two protection groups:

Status: There are no alerts which are associated with this protection group
    Protection method: Short-term using disk | Long-term using tape
    Short-term recovery: 7 days | 2 hour(s) synchronization
    Disk space allocated: 1.989,05 GB | Grow automatically
    Long-term (tape) protection: 4 week(s) | Backup schedule - weekly
    Backup library: Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader
    Performance optimization: On-wire compression: Disabled | Consistency check: Automatic when replica becomes inconsistent. | Express Full Backup-20:00 Everyday

Status: Some datasource in this protection group has error alerts
    Protection method: Short-term using disk | Long-term using tape
    Short-term recovery: 7 days | 6 hour(s) synchronization
    Disk space allocated: 3.712,98 GB | Grow automatically
    Long-term (tape) protection: 4 week(s) | Backup schedule - weekly
    Backup library: Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader
    Performance optimization: On-wire compression: Disabled | Consistency check: Automatic when replica becomes inconsistent. | Express Full Backup-2:00 ma, di, wo, do, vr

I have got a tape Library: Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader.

I have set Tape optimization for both protection groups, with allow backups of different retention periods to co-locate on the same tape.

Write period is 7 days

Expiry tolarance is 29 days.

The backup job is taking a while, about 2 days because the tape drive isn't faster. But after 3 days the backup to tape job is requesting for free tapes.

Error: Jpb waiting for tape: Backup to Tape job is paused because the required tape Free Tape is not available in the library Tape Library Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader. (ID 3315)

There are enough tapes in the library with enough space, but DPM keeps failing and doens't append data to the tapes.

What do i do wrong? And why is it so difficult for DPM to write normally to tape?

Monday, October 7, 2013 7:07 AM

All replies

• Picture of the tapes can be found here: http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4563/jm03.jpg
    Monday, October 7, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

When a backup job fills a tape, it will always request a free tape.  DPM will never append to a partially filled tape to finish a backup for a datasource that spans tapes.  That could potentially lead to a large data source to have bits and pieces of it's backup spread across many partially filled tapes which is undesirable. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 7, 2013 9:42 PM
  • That is strange behaviour, especially when you have a lot of datasources in one or two protection groups. As you can see in the attatched picture the tapes aren't even close to be full. Tapes are 400/800GB,and with this behaviour it could meen that you have to use a box full of tapes that are partially filled.

If you take al look at this technet thread it states the following:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757885.aspx

System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM) may allocate two or more tapes for each protection group.

All the data sources in a protection group will always append to the same tape regardless of whether short-term or long-term protection is specified.

If the user specifies the allocation of more than one drive while creating the protection group, the data sources will be split across tapes. For example, if there are five data sources and a drive with a maximum limit of two sources, DPM may write three data sources on one tape and two on another. Depending on the size of the data sources, other scheduled backup jobs to tape in other protection groups, and the number of tape drives available at the time, you may find an uneven distribution of data sources going to the various tapes.

And why would there be an option named Co-location?

So your post isn't making sense to me.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

The best way I can explain this is a new backup of a datasource can be appended to a partially filled tape, but if that datasource end up filling that tape, then a new tape will be required.  DPM will not continue a backup of a datasource that spans tapes to a partially filled tape.

It seems that the tapes are being marked offsite ready before they are filled.

When tape colocation is enabled, a tape will be shown as Offsite Ready when any one of the following conditions is met:

- The tape is full or is marked full. (This includes the I/O 0x8007045D error problem)    
    - One of the datasets has expired.    
    - Write-period ratio has been crossed.

Check for IO errors using the following blog and see if you get more data on the tapes.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:46 PM
  • I have checked the following:

• the datasource that is waiting for tape is 60GB. That job can append to every tape in the library. (Except those that are marked off site ready)
    • There is no I/O 0x8007045D error problem
    • The dataset has not expired
    • Write-period ratio has not been crossed

All this information is allready mentioned above.

Even the library says that there is a free tape!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Please open a support incident for additional troubleshooting of the issue.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:48 PM