none
2012 Upgrade to R2 - Client Protection Agent Upgrade - Reboot? RRS feed

• Question

• MSFT states in their upgrade doc for DPM 2012 R2 "You must upgrade all of the protection agents. This might require a restart of the protected computer."

What has been your experience reboot/no reboot as I know agent upgrades during past couple years (updates) haven't required a reboot?

If have to do reboot not good as I have over 175+ production machines.

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

About the only two conditions that I can think of that would possibly require a reboot after updating a DPM 2010 / 2012 agent are:

1) It's a windows 2003 server and is being upgraded from DPM 2007 which used a disk filter driver instead of a volume filter driver.

2) There is a pending reboot from another software update - I believe DPM may prompt for a reboot to finish that.

In any case - select the option not to automatically reboot and after the update, there will be a pending reboot status for those that require one and you can manually reboot it at a later time.

I'm betting none will require reboots.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

About the only two conditions that I can think of that would possibly require a reboot after updating a DPM 2010 / 2012 agent are:

1) It's a windows 2003 server and is being upgraded from DPM 2007 which used a disk filter driver instead of a volume filter driver.

2) There is a pending reboot from another software update - I believe DPM may prompt for a reboot to finish that.

In any case - select the option not to automatically reboot and after the update, there will be a pending reboot status for those that require one and you can manually reboot it at a later time.

I'm betting none will require reboots.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:11 PM
  • Thanks going from 2012 Sp1 to R2 not 07 or 10.  Yes can check option not to reboot but documentation indicates after upgrade it marks all data sources as inconsistent.  If then a reboot is required to get the agent correctly installed so can run a consistency check that would not be good. 

If anyone has actually performed an upgrade from 2012 SP1 to R2 let me know your agent upgrade experience.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:26 PM
  • Thanks going from 2012 Sp1 to R2 not 07 or 10.  Yes can check option not to reboot but documentation indicates after upgrade it marks all data sources as inconsistent.  If then a reboot is required to get the agent correctly installed so can run a consistency check that would not be good. 

If anyone has actually performed an upgrade from 2012 SP1 to R2 let me know your agent upgrade experience.

I just did the upgrade from 2012 SP1 to 2012 R2 CU3. 1 agent I updated went straight to OK. The rest are in a status 'Restart Pending' now. Even though Microsoft's documentation say that a restart is not required...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848282.aspx

Due to the fact MS said the reboot is not required, and that at least 1 agent updated without requiring the reboot, I followed the thread below and removed the reboot flag. I was then able to perform a consistency check and get the DB backups back on schedule without issue. Great job MS...

http://shaiperednik.com/2012/11/clear-pending-reboot/

• Edited by Jsilveri Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:05 PM Additional Info
    • Proposed as answer by Jsilveri Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2012 R2 UR3 agent update does a require a reboot and it is documented several places in the UR3 article.

Note This UR3 agent update requires you to restart protected servers in order to create or change protection groups. VM backups may fail in Windows Server 2012 R2 until the server is restarted.

Important information

1. We recommend that you restart the protected computer after you apply the Update Rollup 3 Agent update.
    2. If Protected Computers are not restarted after you apply Update Rollup 3, the following things can occur:

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2012 R2 UR3 agent update does a require a reboot and it is documented several places in the UR3 article.

Note This UR3 agent update requires you to restart protected servers in order to create or change protection groups. VM backups may fail in Windows Server 2012 R2 until the server is restarted.

Important information

1. We recommend that you restart the protected computer after you apply the Update Rollup 3 Agent update.
    2. If Protected Computers are not restarted after you apply Update Rollup 3, the following things can occur:

It says recommend, not required. Like I said, at least 1 agent I updated using the DPM Console went straight to OK, no reboot required. The others went to reboot required, but after removing the registry flag, worked fine. I pointed the servers are the new DPM install (new datacenter) and was able to recreate all of the protection groups with no issues. We are only backing up Server 2012/Server 2012 R2 servers though (both hyperV and SQL clusters), so maybe the issues are for 2k8 servers.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:33 PM