Windows Vista SP1 Home Edition error 0xc000000f The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Compaq Presario SR5102hm with a Hitachi Deskstar 160GB Rpm 7200 computer.  accidently a download was run instead of saving it and scanning it and the computer flickered and then froze so i restarted and i got a blue screen similar to the blue screen of death but only flashed for not even a second, it said somthing about registry files and boot, i could not read for fear of restarting over and over to cause more harm eventually i found many answers on post about the problem and tried every one, like using system restore, trying to repair with the recovery cd and every tool it had in system recovery.  i continually get a black screen with this message

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the 
    cause.  To fix the problem:

1.  Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
    manufacturer for assistance.

Info:  The boot selection failed because a required device is
              inaccessible.

this screen comes up after everything i try.  i could get to safe mode and opened task manager because in safe mode the screen kept jumping and when i tried to open a program the screen jumped and the program was closed, only task manager was unaffected.  i opened to see almost everything had been disabled, i couldnt even open anything to do with registry, firewall was off and could not find file location, as was security center and every program you could think of.  i enabled all tasks and saved and restarted to hopefully fix it, when opened some of the files were enabled but the security and registry ones were not again.  now i cant even enter any of the safe modes. and it just continually comes back to the black screen.  any help would be much appreciated, and please a detailed step by step..even if i have to completely wipe and start over...
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Error code 0xC000000F indicates that the related files are corrupted. To troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1. Use Bootrec.exe tool repair boot files. To do this, please visit the following website.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

2. Copy the boot files from Windows Vista DVD to system32 folder.

1) Boot from the Windows Vista DVD.

2) Choose the repair option and from there open the Command Prompt.

3) Type in: copy c:\Windows\System32\boot\winload.exe c:\windows\system32\

4) Restart the computer to see if it works.

If the issue persists, I may also need to suggest you performing a clean install.

How to install Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Please note: It is recommended to copy your important files from the system disk in Windows PE to another external disk before installing Windows Vista.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:08 AM