agent install with the MP hard coded RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all 

Need some clarifications on these please 

If the Schema is not installed and I do agent installs with an install code to include the MP will that client always use that MP in the future (even if schema gets extended in the future and their are more then 1 MP's in the environment)

If I have installed the agent with install options like the MP does this mean that the client in the future will not be able to query other MP's in that site.

If I perform an initial install with the schema updates not configured now and deploy 20k+ clients and then go onto phase 2 and decide to extend the schema for another 20k clients are there any implications?

In the same way that in name res a client will check its lmhost file and then go to DNS is it the same with the SCCM client, will it look to its own config entry and then go to AD to find a MP?

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

Paul Keely

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

• The schema cannot be installed, but extended.
    My theory: the client will lookup the MP dynamically, so it can make use of additional ones, but that's untested and based on my understanding of how it works. You should test it in a lab to make sure that it will work that way.
    But why not extending the schema before rolling out any clients? That will be much easier then.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by Paul KeelyMVP Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:10 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Clients do not stick to a single MP in CM2012. They download a new list f MP's (when the cient service is restarted, once a day etc). The MP you specify is only used to download the list of available MP's.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:08 PM

All replies

• The schema cannot be installed, but extended.
    My theory: the client will lookup the MP dynamically, so it can make use of additional ones, but that's untested and based on my understanding of how it works. You should test it in a lab to make sure that it will work that way.
    But why not extending the schema before rolling out any clients? That will be much easier then.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Clients do not stick to a single MP in CM2012. They download a new list f MP's (when the cient service is restarted, once a day etc). The MP you specify is only used to download the list of available MP's.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Sorry meant to say extend the schema.. the customer does not want to extend the schema if they can avoid it.

Extending the schema is at least a 10 week change request process from when it gets accepted.

I had thought that installing the client with the name of a MP effectively  "stitches" that client to that MP, the customer was hoping to use this as a way of controlling MP traffic.  If that is not the case it looks like we will have to look at secondary sites. 

Thanks for the help

Paul Keely

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:26 PM