Filenames with Square Brackets [] RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to save a file with square brackets and got an error, make sure the file does not contain any of the following characters, which included square brackets.

I have saved many files with the square brackets and have never received the error before. 

Why does it accept the filename for one file and not others?

Should I rename the previous files that have these brackets so they don't cause issues in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, May 19, 2017 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What’s the file format?

Does the issue only occur on the specify format?

I have tested on my side, it is available to rename a .txt file with “[“ ”]” on my Windows 7 sp1 client device.

According to my research, you will get the similar issue if you are using an Office product and it is by design.

Error message when you open or save a file in Microsoft Excel: "Filename is not valid"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/213983/error-message-when-you-open-or-save-a-file-in-microsoft-excel-filename-is-not-valid

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:35 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 9:12 AM
  • It happened in Word when I did a save as.

I haven't thought of using quotes before hitting enter.  Should I do that in future?

Thanks.

Monday, May 22, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Did the issue only occur on Word format?

I have tested on my side, it is available to rename a .txt file with “[“ ”]” on my Windows 7 sp1 client device.

I mean when I test with square brackets (without quotes in test), there is no error occurred. Quote is just for mark the important part.

Bests,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Friday, June 2, 2017 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:40 AM