IE8 + Active Desktop wallpaper on Windows XP = desktop lag RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My client has Windows XP SP3 with IE8 and Active Desktop enabled via Group Policy. The behaviour we're seeing is that there is extreme lag (similar to mouse trailing) when dragging windows while viewing the desktop. This behaviour is the same whether a bmp or jpg file is used and if IE7 is installed, or Active Desktop is disabled, this lag disappears. 

The Active Desktop Wallpaper Wallpaper Style group policy setting is set to Stretch and if I change it to Center or Tiled, then the lag disappears. Changing it back to 'Stretch' reintroduces the lag.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? I've searched the internet and these forums and I've not been able to find a solution to this problem, so I'm hoping someone here can help!

Thanks

Monday, April 2, 2012 3:16 AM

All replies

• Have you tried installing the latest available drivers for the video graphics adapter?

Carey Frisch

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Hi Carey

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already tested this issue with the latest graphics driver and it made no difference. This behaviour occurs on all hardware models so I don't think it is driver related

Thanks again

• Edited by slewis1310 Monday, April 2, 2012 5:32 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 5:31 AM
  • Go to your Display Properties and switch to the Web tab.  Uncheck View My Active Desktop As a Web Page.  Does this improve performance?

Other suggestions to try are found in Active desktop recovery woes.

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:37 AM