physical vista boot problem in vmware RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I want to boot an existing vista from ubuntu (using vmware workstation), there is a blue screen error (7B) which is related to INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. There are a lot of discussions if someone try some googling and all of they are agree that the problem is indeed with vista. Some say that vista does not allow hardware profiling (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/176727) or the problem is with vista licensing (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/119743;jsessionid=73A621FF74CB36598310BCBE1E0B45D6?start=15&tstart=0). I want to ask microsoft MSFT's is it true that vista will not boot from virtual machine?
    "I use VC++ 8.0"
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the error message, I suspect this should be a hardware error. Since this hardware environment is virtualized by VMware, it is recommended that you contact VMware for detailed information and technical support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I have to say that booting physical linux from windows using vmware is possible without error. I have also in contact with vmware communities, but as other forum say (for example those that I mentioned) it is problem with vista hardware drivers. 

As a personal experiment, when I create a new virtual machine in windows and select the guest operating system to be ubuntu, vmware recommends LSI logic for SCSI adapter. Then when I proceed and select existing physical linux to boot, it has no problem and it boots without any problem. 

Now, when I create a new virtual machine in linux and select the guest operating system to be windows, The same adapter is recommended but the windows can not boot. I even changed SCSI adapter (three adapters are available: BusLogic , LSI Logic , LSI Logic SAS ), but none of them work.

I want to say that vmware can boot A from B but can not boot B from A, so I think the problem is with B. Are you agree?
    "I use VC++ 8.0"
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

As we know, there are many differences between Windows Vista and Ubuntu, such as on the system architecture, the way they work, etc. Therefore, applications are also different on different platform even though they are designed by the same company and have same brand. Although the physical hardware is the same, there may be still some differences on the virtualized hardware environment due to the way VMware works. Therefore, it is still recommended that you contact VMware for further investigation since they are familiar with their products.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:36 AM
  • One more question. Where is hardware profiling in vista? It was available in windows XP (through system properties), but I can not find it in vista.
    "I use VC++ 8.0"
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:50 AM