none
SMS 2003 SP3 - Remote Control a Windows 7 Workstation RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the compatibility pack for SMS 2003 SP3 which supposedly adds Windows 7 RTM (which I was hoping were remote control options).

Problems still exist:

When launching SMS Admin Console from a XP Workstation trying to attach to a Windows 7 workstation, Start Remote Tools is not present and Remote Assistance is grayed out.  When I run remote.exe from a command prompt and type in the IP address of the same computer, I receive back that the remote control agent is not installed.

When launching the SMS Console from a Windows 7 computer trying to attach to a XP workstation, Start Remote Tools is present and after I click on the icon to initiate remote control I get the following message: "Cannot establish a security context with the client" - then another window comes up prompting for Credentials - "Credentials required." I typed in a user account that has admin access to the workstation but no luck attaching.

When launching the SMS Console from a Windows 7 computer trying to attach to another Windows 7 computer; Start Remote Assistance is accessible but Start Remote Tools is not listed. When I click on Remote Assistance the following message comes up:

Failed to copy file to Help and Support Directory:

c:\smsadmin\bin\i386\smsunsolicitedrcui.htm

This file is present in the above location.

SMS is installed via a group policy to our AD Workstations.  It seems to me that the Remote Control piece is not installing to our Windows 7 workstations.  Is there a way to install this manually or modify a registry to include it?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Regards,

Lisa -

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:34 PM

Answers