Windows unable to patch from WSUS but can from microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a bit of a WSUS newbie, so bear with me.  I have a new WSUS server taking over service for my environment.  For the most part it is working well.  However, there are a large number of computers with patch failures.  

2 servers have 27 patch failures each.  No matter how many times I try to update, the updates always fail.  If I then manually check for updates against Microsoft instead of the WSUS server, it finds and installs the same patches fine.  I can find little different about these servers or patches that would cause the issue.  The only thing at all that I can see is that for some reason, all the failed patches are dated July 31, 2015, even if the patch shows a publish date of 2009! on WSUS.  

I have run the Windows Update Repair tool on these two servers with the 27 broken patches, but still no dice.  Furthermore all patches preceding and following these 27 patches have installed successfully.  Is this a problem with my WSUS server or the target servers?  Is there a way to fix this beyond downloading them manually?

Jon

Monday, November 30, 2015 6:42 PM

Answers