none
Long LTO 5 Media erase time in DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have installed MS DPM 2010 in our site to take backup of Hyper V VMs.

DPM 2010 is installed on windows 2008 R2 SP1, Hp DL380 G5 server.

We have recently purchased HP MSL 8096 FC Library with Two Drives to backup virtual servers using DPM 2010.

While erasing the LTO 5 Tape Media, DPM 2010 takes more than 3 hrs.  I have tried with two LTO 5 media and all taking same time.

I have connected my older MSL 6000 with DPM 2010 & try to erase LTO 3 media it also take 1 Hrs 34 Mins.

We also have HP Data protector installed and I connected MSL 8096 with it.

While formatting / erasing LTO 5 media with HP Data Protector it only takes 2 to 3 Mins.

Latest Drivers for the MSL 8096 installed in DPM 2010. My DPM 2010 is having windows 2008 R2 with SP1.

Need help if someone has faced such incident & how to resolve the Huge time taken for Media Erase.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The FULL (long) erase times are hardware speciic, it's a single IOCTL to the hardware to perform the long erase, then it's up to the drive itself to perform that command / operation.

Short Erase
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634195.aspx

When a user erases a tape, by default, DPM will do a long erase on that tape.  DPM 2010 has introduced the ability to do a short erase now.  Simply navigate to the following registry location and add the DWORD key with the default vale:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    REG_DWORD:UseShortErase:0x0

Setting to 0(zero) will cause DPM to use a short erase.  In order to set it back to using the long erase, simply delete the key.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Thanks for reply. My Problem solved by adding reg. entry.

• Marked as answer by PaulinDave Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:59 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 4:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The FULL (long) erase times are hardware speciic, it's a single IOCTL to the hardware to perform the long erase, then it's up to the drive itself to perform that command / operation.

Short Erase
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634195.aspx

When a user erases a tape, by default, DPM will do a long erase on that tape.  DPM 2010 has introduced the ability to do a short erase now.  Simply navigate to the following registry location and add the DWORD key with the default vale:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    REG_DWORD:UseShortErase:0x0

Setting to 0(zero) will cause DPM to use a short erase.  In order to set it back to using the long erase, simply delete the key.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Thanks for reply. My Problem solved by adding reg. entry.

• Marked as answer by PaulinDave Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:59 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Hello Mike ,

Can you explain the difference between long and short erase ?

I guess that a long erase will override all data on tape with zero's ? What happens when you do a short erase ? Can we be sure that the data on the tapes cannot be recoverd when doing a short erase ?

Best regards,

Erwin Mannaerts 

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

After short erase, you will not be able to read the tape contents using software based tools. The tape drive will only allow read access to data written up to end of data marker.  This is a hardware function, so you would need a special tape drive (or firmware) that will ignore the end of data marker and allow data after that marker to be read.  With a long erase - the same is true, but even with the special tape drive (firmware) - the data past the end of data marker would all be zeroes.   If you want to use short erase, but still need to ensure the data on the tape cannot be read after short erase (even with special drive (firmware) - then enable tape encryption. 

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:39 PM