none
Weeks numbers not lining up! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to MS Project and am using to manage multiple project for multiple teams. Our entire business references week numbers regularly and we all have our Outlook calendars configured so that the week 1 of the year is which ever week January 1st is in. For example, in Outlook Dec. 28th-Jan. 3rd is week 1 because January 1st falls within those dates. This is an option easily found in the Outlook calendar settings and seems fairly standard.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my MS Project to do this. My Timescale shows week 1 doesn't start until a few days into January. I've looked in the Timescale settings and the program options and cannot find anything.

Please tell me that there is a way to get the MS Project Timescale to sync-up with our Outlook calendars and have the week number start the same week that Jan. 1st falls into.

Thanks!

Friday, January 23, 2015 1:31 AM

Answers

• Sandwichlover --

In Microsoft Project, the Week setting you can apply on the Timescale bar is based on the Start date of the project.  Week 1 is always the first full week of the project, based on the Start date.  If the Start date of the project is Monday, February 2, then Week 1 is the week of February 1.  If the project Start date is Wednesday, February 4, then Week 1 is the week of February 8, while the first partial week is specified as Week -1.  There is no setting in Microsoft Project where you can specify that Week 1 starts on January 1.  That is simply not an available option.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.  

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 23, 2015 1:43 AM

All replies

• Sandwichlover --

In Microsoft Project, the Week setting you can apply on the Timescale bar is based on the Start date of the project.  Week 1 is always the first full week of the project, based on the Start date.  If the Start date of the project is Monday, February 2, then Week 1 is the week of February 1.  If the project Start date is Wednesday, February 4, then Week 1 is the week of February 8, while the first partial week is specified as Week -1.  There is no setting in Microsoft Project where you can specify that Week 1 starts on January 1.  That is simply not an available option.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.  

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 23, 2015 1:43 AM
  • Sandwichlover,

As usual Dale is right on the money. Now let me offer a little trick to get what you want.

1. Set the Project Start Date as 12/29/14

2. Create a start milestone (0d duration) that represents when your actual project starts (e.g. 1/22/15)

3. Use the start milestone as the predecessor for all tasks that you want to start at the beginning of your project

Now when you set the timescale to display W1, W2, etc. the timescale will show the first week of January as W1.

Problem solved.

John

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:14 AM
  • Dale,

I've got a client who I trained who has a similar issue but, his project includes prep work.  The actual "project start date" is usually two weeks into the project plan.  he wants the dates for this prep work to be Week -1 and so on.  He has also a document where the PRINT PREVIEW is showing the above situation correctly but, the working pane isn't..

Any ideas?

Miles

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:35 PM
  • I'm still hoping for an answer on this one..

Miles Bennett Lead Consultant Numberminds Limited

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 11:48 AM
  • Hi Miles,

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.  The timescale at the top of the Gantt chart will show Week -1 if you have manually scheduled tasks appearing prior to the Project start date.

When you refer to "working pane" what are you referring to?  The display of dates (start and finish) is limited to the settings in File > Options, General - date format.  Those do not display relative to the Project start date - rather to the calendar.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 2:55 PM
  • I'm still hoping for an answer on this one..

Miles Bennett Lead Consultant Numberminds Limited

Also see this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-project/cant-show-minus-week-activities/66b3cd08-3a1e-45b2-bd51-8aa42c86120e
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 2:59 PM