none
Recovery from scratch, and bare metal recovery to different hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my situation. Best practices weren't always followed when the people working here before me set up the infrastructure. I am working on a disaster recovery plan and following Mike's reply here to plan for a recovery from scratch. The problem is that I have two virtualized domain controllers and no physical ones. This means that if I were to do a bare metal recovery of the domain controller, I would have to either a) restore it to a physical server with different hardware, or b) convince Virtual Machine Manager to work without a domain (unlikely) until I can create a VM and restore the DC to it. What are my options for recovery of all services from a worst-case scenario with only tape backups (virtual tapes with Firestreamer) to go from, and new physical servers?
    Friday, June 22, 2012 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Josh,

I'm guessing that the virtual machines used for the DC's are not running on Windows Hyper-V servers so you can backup the entire VM using child partition ?  You could install Hyper-V on the DPM server itself and maintain either a 3rd DC, or at least a standby VM so you can restore the BMR from a production DC locally from tape, then boot the standby VM into WINRE and restore the latest BMR backup that was just restored locally from DPM tape. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 25, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Hi Josh 

if you only have your tapes and nothing else you need to recovery the DC first i made a guide for this a while back post here http://flemmingriis.com/?p=212 you can look at

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

I'm guessing that the virtual machines used for the DC's are not running on Windows Hyper-V servers so you can backup the entire VM using child partition ?  You could install Hyper-V on the DPM server itself and maintain either a 3rd DC, or at least a standby VM so you can restore the BMR from a production DC locally from tape, then boot the standby VM into WINRE and restore the latest BMR backup that was just restored locally from DPM tape. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 25, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Hi Josh 

if you only have your tapes and nothing else you need to recovery the DC first i made a guide for this a while back post here http://flemmingriis.com/?p=212 you can look at

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:28 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes they are on Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2. Will look into putting Hyper-V on the DPM server, thanks.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Thanks FlemmingRiis I will check that out.
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:33 PM