none
Explorer.exe and dwm.exe error both had 0xc0000006 code

Question

•  

Could anyone shed any light what would cause Explorer.exe and dwm.exe error both had 0xc0000006 code.

I have a Dell Vostro 200 PC with Vista that has been working perfectly fine and then on Thursday I got the above errors and I don't know why and I couldn't get to the PC to see any error logs.

Managed to get the PC up in Safe Mode with command prompt, it wouldn't boot in any other Safe Mode, kept getting the same errors, got to Restore and restored it back to a Manual one that I had put in. When it was restored back to a good known point, I still got the same errors. So still couldn't get anything off it.

In the end, it was restored back to Dell Factory Settings, this was the only thing that made sense at the time, and I have started all over again.

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:47 AM

All replies

• This would be impossible to determine, since the system has been wiped and restored. Error codes can be the same across many different events.

For instance '0xc0000006' can be from several different areas, such as:

0xc0000006 = UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME   (System volume corrupted)

0xc0000006 = STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR   (Windows Update error)

0xc0000006 = The application failed to initialize properly   (Program error)

Best thing you can do is think hard about exactly what was being done with the system just prior to these errors occurring.

Explorer.exe is the component that displays the entire Graphic User Interface (GUI).

Dwm.exe is the Desktop Windows manager.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    • Proposed as answer by larndell Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:33 PM
  • I'm having similar problems.  My computer will boot up, but explorer.exe fails to start adn I get "application failed to initialize properly - 0xc0000006".  I've tried to many things to list. This just happened yesterday to restored back to 8/1, ran system repair utilities, and have done things like tried to open shell32.dll manually....all to no avail.  I was able to launch Windows Explorer once using task manager, but now it fails to start, but am able to launch other apps like IE and Outlook. 

I'm also unable to start my Antivirus (norton). 

Any help that can be provided in determining if this is a disk problem or something else would be greatly appreciated.

Kelsie

Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:27 PM
  • I have the same error messge.  I have a Toshiba Satellite.  I saw there was an automatic update for Windows XP service pack 3.  I downloaded it and when we went to boot up the next morning I received the message "Explorer.exe - Application error  The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000006).  Click on ok to terminate the application."

The computer wont boot up in safe mode either.  HELP.  Please,  I need to get my sons school work off. 

Julie
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Julie

These forums are focused on supporting the Windows Vista operating system.

Here is a link to the groups where the XP experts answer questions.

Discussions in XP General Discussion:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en_US_91a15a1e-b269-4291-b6b4-dc2d504ce9ef&lang=en&cr=US

Thanks for understanding.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, September 08, 2008 1:36 AM
  • I have an Acer Aspire 5630 notebook with similar errors. It was originally loaded with WindowsXP as operating system but has now been upgraded to Vista Home premium edition almost a year ago.  unfortunately I don't have the original Acer Discs that came with the laptop for recovery.  When booting, during Windows splash I receive the error dwm.exe and error code 'The application failed to initialize properly'  and then get explorer.exe fail to start, obviously windows does not start completely and I get a blank screen and the mouse pointer present.

using the Vista disc will not let me reload the operating system unless I have a different CD-Key. I have tried the repair function with no succes and attempted several restores from most recent when worikng to several months ago. I have managed to get the PC up in all Safe Modes but still go to a blank screen when attempting boot and kept getting the same errors.  When it was restored back to a good known point, I still got the same errors.  I hoping not to have to reformat and start from scratch........

Any  suggestion would be appreciated....

Error Code dwm.exe the Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application.

Then
    message Desktop Window Manager has stopped working   (close program)

then
    Blank screen with active mouse pointer
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:25 PM
  • i had the same problem ... the system was working fine the nite before, but had dwm.exe and explorer.exe error ... i rebooted and went in safemode...  created another administrator account ... reboot and was able to log in with the new account with no problem.  really weird.  profile related error?
    • Proposed as answer by larndell Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:13 PM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:47 AM