Keeping footnote on the same page RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Word 2007. The last line of one of my footnotes is getting moved to the bottom of the next page. I want my footnotes to stay on the same page. Is there a way to do this? Thanx.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 5:26 PM

Answers

• The quickest way is as follows: Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Type in Footnote Text. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog, click Format, and then click Paragraph. You’ll find “Keep lines together” on the Line and Page Breaks tab.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Monday, March 26, 2012 7:30 PM

All replies

• Modify the Footnote Text style to include “Keep lines together.” See also http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/footnoteondiffpage.htm.

Monday, March 26, 2012 6:01 PM
  • How do I modify the footnote text style? That is, which buttons do I push to get to the relevant menu? 
    Monday, March 26, 2012 6:08 PM
  • The quickest way is as follows: Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Type in Footnote Text. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog, click Format, and then click Paragraph. You’ll find “Keep lines together” on the Line and Page Breaks tab.

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:30 PM
  • That worked, thanks.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 8:03 PM
  • "Led Zeppelin" wrote in message news:c7d03723-ac04-45db-b8a3-b3703e7f979b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    That worked, thanks.

You are welcome.

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Hello,

Follow the links below. It will help you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/word/thread/5346a053-a8c6-404d-9c90-4858079758ee/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101121202343AAsQlyP

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:03 AM
  • It does keep long footnotes on one same pages, but it left huge blank space on the main body of the pages. I want the footnotes to be on same pages and also keep all paragraphs together without blank space, how can I do this? Thanks.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 6:41 PM
  • It does keep long footnotes on one same pages, but it left huge blank space on the main body of the pages. I want the footnotes to be on same pages and also keep all paragraphs together without blank space, how can I do this? Thanks.

What you have seen is a side-effect of keeping text lines together in the footnote text. To avoid large gaps in the main body of the text, you would have to keep footnote text short.

Monday, October 12, 2015 7:07 PM
  • Or move the footnote reference further up the page, which editing the body content might achieve.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Not always an option in a doctoral dissertation . . . 
    Monday, June 6, 2016 6:37 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with regard to my dissertation. After much handwringing, I have gone to Mellel for my academic writing. Not the most intuitive interface, but much better footnote control. Don't know about the P.C. side of the aisle, and I suppose that the best word processor for your dissertation will depend to a degree on your need to display equations or other doctrine-specific requirements.

Good luck!

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:43 PM
  • I have a macbook pro...those short cuts dont work. Im using Word and need to have the footnote appear on the same page together - otherwise it is confusing if it goes to the next page. 

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:37 PM
  • I have a macbook pro...those short cuts dont work. Im using Word and need to have the footnote appear on the same page together - otherwise it is confusing if it goes to the next page. 

For a list of keyboard shortcuts in Word for Mac, see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/keyboard-shortcuts-in-word-for-mac-3256d48a-7967-475d-be81-a6e3e1284b25.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:43 PM