none
initstrings file detected as virus and got deleted in SharePoint 2013. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Today in my environment from the location "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033" initstrings file got deleted as it is detected as virus by the antivirus. Because of which CA is opening blank.

Now, I have restored the deleted file from antivirus backup and CA is opening my problem is now the Project Server default Web Parts are not working and even BI center is giving error as "ReferenceError: 'Strings' is undefinedTypeError: Unable to get property 'RenderField' of undefined or null referenceTypeError: Unable to get property 'RenderField' of undefined or null reference ". 

Am I missing any other files or step?

Note: done iisreset

Any help would be very helpful for me

Thanks

Abbas Khan

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:47 PM

Answers

• Resolved it by doing following:

1. Copy test server initstrings.js and convert it into text.

2. Copy the text and pasted it in notepad in prod and saved it with .js extension.

3. Then by adding initstrings.js as trusted in the antivirus globally.

AV solution: TrendMicro

Friday, December 16, 2016 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

which AV solution do you have in place? just facing a similar scenario but from client side.

Kind regards

Marc

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

I have just faced the same problem. We have TrendMicro OfficeScan 11 and it just started blocking initstring.js from our local Sharepoint 2013.

Interesting thing is that if you open SP site with Chrome it works OK, but if you open it with IE the Anti Virus immediately blocks initstring.js and page is not displayed correctly.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Thanks  Marko, TrendMicro OfficeScan 11 is also the candidate here.

Did it block the initstring on client side or on the SP server itself? We cant find any blocking notifications in the AV logs. Maybe just searching at the wrong place.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 3:04 PM
  • Resolved it by doing following:

1. Copy test server initstrings.js and convert it into text.

2. Copy the text and pasted it in notepad in prod and saved it with .js extension.

3. Then by adding initstrings.js as trusted in the antivirus globally.

AV solution: TrendMicro

Friday, December 16, 2016 11:14 AM