Sharepoint 2010 content editor web part RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have Sharepoint 2010, which does not have a content editor web part as an option. I was wondering if someone has one or knows where I can get one to import into SP 2010? I have a 2007 version, which works fine with 2007, but it does not work with 2010.

Paul

Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:01 PM

Answers

• The Content Editor Web Part is still part of SP2010. If you don't have it, something's wrong with your site. It should be listed under the Media and Content group heading.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/using-the-content-editor-web-part-HA101794745.aspx

The web part gets added as part of a feature called BasicWebParts. That feature is hidden from the list of available features that you can see in your browser, but you can talk with your site administrator to verify that that feature has been activated in your site.

Blog: blog.beckybertram.com | RSS | @beckybertram | SharePoint 2010: Six-in-One
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:50 PM
  • as Becky said it is part of the 2010 but it is not showing up due to web application policies configured in central admin. however it is only not showing up, you can export from some existing SharePoint 2010 site or register for free in office 365 online and get one from there :). Once you have it, simply import it on your side in the Add web part tool box.

Web part box has an export option in Edit page mode, you can export a .webpart file and import into any other page.

Moonis Tahir MVP SharePoint,MCTS SharePoint 2010/2007, MCPD.net, MCSD.net, MCTS BizTalk 2006,SQL 2005

• Edited by Moonis Tahir Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:16 PM updated
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, December 9, 2011 12:11 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:14 PM

All replies

• The Content Editor Web Part is still part of SP2010. If you don't have it, something's wrong with your site. It should be listed under the Media and Content group heading.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/using-the-content-editor-web-part-HA101794745.aspx

The web part gets added as part of a feature called BasicWebParts. That feature is hidden from the list of available features that you can see in your browser, but you can talk with your site administrator to verify that that feature has been activated in your site.

Blog: blog.beckybertram.com | RSS | @beckybertram | SharePoint 2010: Six-in-One
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:50 PM
  • as Becky said it is part of the 2010 but it is not showing up due to web application policies configured in central admin. however it is only not showing up, you can export from some existing SharePoint 2010 site or register for free in office 365 online and get one from there :). Once you have it, simply import it on your side in the Add web part tool box.

Web part box has an export option in Edit page mode, you can export a .webpart file and import into any other page.

Moonis Tahir MVP SharePoint,MCTS SharePoint 2010/2007, MCPD.net, MCSD.net, MCTS BizTalk 2006,SQL 2005

• Edited by Moonis Tahir Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:16 PM updated
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, December 9, 2011 12:11 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Hi Moonis

I was looking around and searched the Office 365 site and did not see how to download a free content editor web part. Is it in a specific area?

Paul

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi Paul,

For Office 365 issue, i suggest you create new thread in the Office 365 forum.

here is the link:http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 9, 2011 12:12 PM
  • I am the sharepoint admin at my site. I can't find the Content Editor on my normal farm - it does show up, however, on the "my sites" web part pages!

I also cannot see the image viewer, medial web part, or page viewer.

I have not intentionally done something to prevent these web parts from appearing.

I don't know of any web application policy that I even have - let alone one that would prevent the web parts from appearing.

Is there some way - even if via powershell - to determine what is going on?

• Edited by lwvirden Monday, June 2, 2014 5:28 PM added a note about web app policies
    Monday, June 2, 2014 5:27 PM
  • So, I searched the web to figure out about web app policies.

I am checking, and the only user policies I have are for "LOCAL SERVICE", Search CRawling Account, the farm account, the superuser, superreader, excel unattended, and the backup software.

There are no anonymous policies.

The Permission policies list full control, full read, deny write, and deny all.

None of these seem like they should be impacting the average user's ability to access web parts, do they?

Monday, June 2, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Interestingly enough, a bit of my problem may now be explained.

What appears to be is that for some reason, a number of the web parts that are in at least one of my site collections had no value in their "group" property.

This resulted in the web part not being displayed in the "add a web part" page.

When I add a group, the part then appears.

HOWEVER, in some cases (perhaps older web parts?) when I add a group and attempt to save, I get an error message saying that the web part name has an invalid character in it.

It doesn't, however, have such a thing.  The system just thinks that it does.

Monday, June 2, 2014 6:00 PM