none
Moving to Win10 from Win7. Upgrade VM's or rebuild? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm given the task of upgrading our MDT server. This includes Server 2008 to Server 2012, MDT 2013 Update 2 and ADK 10.1.10586. All of my VM's are Windows 7 or 8.
    Would I benefit from trying to upgrade my current VM's from 7 to 10, or rebuild them? I'm using Hyper-V for my image.

From what I read, there are several things involved in upgrading (upgrade configuration version, which I'm not familiar with). Our images are thick builds with most software installed on the VM.

I'm asking this forum for opinions since I haven't thought out all the options overall. My first move would to be to build new VM's in 10, as we have about 7 or 8 thick images we use. This also gives me the option to use UEFI VM's, which I'm also not too familiar with yet.

• Edited by the1rickster Monday, June 6, 2016 8:45 PM Hyper-V
    Monday, June 6, 2016 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi

You need to rebuild your Windows 7 and Windows 8 - it is not supported to capture a upgraded OS.

For your server upgrade - you can do a inplace upgrade or take the easy way and create a new MDT server and copy your DeploymentShare.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Just build new VM's but don't worry about creating UEFI (generation 2) VM's. Since the VM is purely to create a deployable image, there's no need to create a UEFI VM as the image can be applied to both BIOS and UEFI based machines when you deploy it.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi

You need to rebuild your Windows 7 and Windows 8 - it is not supported to capture a upgraded OS.

For your server upgrade - you can do a inplace upgrade or take the easy way and create a new MDT server and copy your DeploymentShare.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Just build new VM's but don't worry about creating UEFI (generation 2) VM's. Since the VM is purely to create a deployable image, there's no need to create a UEFI VM as the image can be applied to both BIOS and UEFI based machines when you deploy it.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:39 PM