WMI access: "Access is denied" to perf class but non perf classes work fine - Local administrator account - WMI Access is denied. 0x80070005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are trying to connect to a Windows XP(SP3) machine for collecting WMI metrics. The useraccount is a local administrator on that windows XP box. 

We are using Wbemtest to connect and are trying to add two WMI class(perf and non perf classes).

- Win32_Process
    Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process

It need not be the same above classes, there are just examples, I have tried a bunch of Perf and non Perf classes and the result is  all the same. 

The non-Perf class get added to the refresher, but when I try to add the Perf classes it fails with an error: WMI Access is denied. 0x80070005

Any thoughts or suggestions? As mentioned the user account is a local administrator account on that Windows XP machine. There are no firewalls in play.

Thanks
    -Pradeep

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:52 PM

Answers

• Pradeep... Did you get a solution for this issue. I am also facing the same issue. I am using Windows Server 2008 Ent R2. Though I am able to query these classes when i logged in to the Windows server. But when i try it remotely they dont work without administrator login. I am getting the results from administrator user but not normal user, which has the access as per the WMI documents. Please share if you have find any solution for this issue.

Thanks

Looks like we have to add certain groups to that user. Make sure User has access to group. Specially Performance Log users.

• Distributed COM Users
        • Performance Log Users
        • Remote Desktop Users

• Proposed as answer by Balothia Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:14 PM
    • Edited by Balothia Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Monday, December 23, 2013 3:25 PM
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 6:56 PM

All replies

• Checked this?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/618cf17f-0c68-4457-aa68-74de8daf0b5b/remote-wmi-access-denied-0x80070005?forum=winserverpowershell

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Thanks for the Response Arnav! I had previously looked at that link, but that discussion is more for initial access itself and not specific to the Perf classes. I made sure the settings are the same between that post and for my usecase. Also it has "Everyone" for the DCOM access list with both local and remote access.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Pradeep... Did you get a solution for this issue. I am also facing the same issue. I am using Windows Server 2008 Ent R2. Though I am able to query these classes when i logged in to the Windows server. But when i try it remotely they dont work without administrator login. I am getting the results from administrator user but not normal user, which has the access as per the WMI documents. Please share if you have find any solution for this issue.

Thanks

Looks like we have to add certain groups to that user. Make sure User has access to group. Specially Performance Log users.

• Distributed COM Users
        • Performance Log Users
        • Remote Desktop Users

• Proposed as answer by Balothia Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:14 PM
    • Edited by Balothia Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Monday, December 23, 2013 3:25 PM
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 6:56 PM