My computer shuts down after a period of inactivity RRS feed

• Question

• My computer has started to shut down after periods of inactivity.  This problem has become more frequent in the past week or so.  I have run "SFC/SCANNOW" without any issues.  I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic without any errors.  I also checked my power settings and I have it set so my computer NEVER sleeps or hibernates. 

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Go to Event View and Task Scheduler to check if there is any related log or history.

You can perform clean boot, set BIOS to default, update all possible devices' driver and BIOS from manufacture's site to narrow down the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:17 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Hi Dshane,

Some programs like Defragmenters - updaters - etc. can auto-shutdown. I'd be re-checking Power-settings, there's Advanced settings in there that could possibly Force a shut-down I'd think. Without knowing your Hardware setup - softwares running - whether Shut down means a full power-down or merely the monitor going to power-saving mode etc. there's really not enough clues to give you much more than a general - keep looking, there's got to be something causing it kind of answer..

What do YOU think might be the cause? - Software? Hardware? General Settings?

Help us narrow it down for you.

Regards, pkn2011

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Dshane,

Some programs like Defragmenters - updaters - etc. can auto-shutdown. I'd be re-checking Power-settings, there's Advanced settings in there that could possibly Force a shut-down I'd think. Without knowing your Hardware setup - softwares running - whether Shut down means a full power-down or merely the monitor going to power-saving mode etc. there's really not enough clues to give you much more than a general - keep looking, there's got to be something causing it kind of answer..

What do YOU think might be the cause? - Software? Hardware? General Settings?

Help us narrow it down for you.

Regards, pkn2011

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

Go to Event View and Task Scheduler to check if there is any related log or history.

You can perform clean boot, set BIOS to default, update all possible devices' driver and BIOS from manufacture's site to narrow down the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:51 AM