While Installing Vista: Windows cannot copy required files for installation... Error Code: 0x80070241 - ANY HELP APPRECIACIATED! RRS feed

• Question

• I did not burn Windows Vista on a DVD-ROM, because I do not have a DVD-ROM, I have a CD/DVD Burner, and blank CD-ROMs, but no blank DVD-ROMs.

So I have used a program which turns the .ISO into a "virtual drive" ... something of that sort using a program called 'Alcohol 120%' ('ISOBuster' needed a serial for the program since it was a trial version to open 'setup.exe', so I couldn't use ISOBuster).

So I open 'setup' from that virtual drive that Alcohol 120% made, and everything goes fine up until it starts installing, on the first part of installing, it stops at 50%, and gives me the '0x80070241 error code', a screenshot is shown at the following link: http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4609/beztytu322u2zq2uk3.jpg

I really would like to install Windows Vista sometime ... it does not work for upgrading or installing (I installed on my 'C: drive'). I have also attempted moving the Windows Vista folder to my C:, and installing it from there, but that still does not seem to work, I still run into the exact same problems.

Some people talk about some kind of 'MD5 hashes' to solve the problem, but I have no idea what hashes are, if someone could explain that to me ...

I also found this guide on this forum: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=7e38a9335a27360596879566527fa08b&showtopic=513048

Attention! Editorial staff did not verify information method, so that each using it, makes this at one's own risk! The discussion will deal with the error "An error occurred while copying Setup files onto your local machine. Error code is [ 80070241 ] ", that indicates" during the copying it is file to your machine it occurred the error... " We will attempt to solve this problem, without the repeated running off or the purchase of distributiva. By you two programs will be necessary for this. This Win32Dasm 10 and WinHex 11.8. It can be, other versions also approach, but the author removed trouble precisely by them. It is first necessary to copy all files from the adjusting disk to the hard disk. As an example, the files were copied into the folder of /.Vista. You should open file winsetup.dll (/Vista/sources/winsetup.dll) by application Win32Dasm (process of discovery it can engage prolonged time). After discovery, pass to the search (Search Find Text or simply press F3). In afterward search introduce "while copying Setup files" and switch over to the obtained line (this line only one in the code). Now you should begin to move in the lines upward, until you find the following text: "JNE 448797B4". Possibly, numbers will be different, but command "JNE" (or JE) compulsorily must be in other words, you must prove to be on the proximity of the following text: Code: Cmp DWORD Ptr... jne... push.. push.. call.. push.. Now produce dual flick in line jne in order to isolate it. After isolation, on the line of state; there you must find the following: "@Offset 00068D07h" (number they can be others). Write down this line, after discarding @Offset in the beginning the last letter h. Further pass in WinHex and open the same winsetup.dll. The collection of the numbers and symbols will appear before you. Press Alt+.G (or pass in menu Position Goto offset). There you must introduce the number (in my case this 0068D07) recorded by you. After pressure ok, you will see the following line: Code: 00068D00 01 00 00 00 39 75 F8 0F 85 A7 00 00 00 56 56 ff If in this line you have number 85, then you will replace it to 84. If you have by 84, you must change it for 85. Then you will preserve changes in the file. After the completion of these actions, you will neglect installation (/Vista/Sources/setup.exe) and wait, until the first stage appears. Further, anything touching in the installation, pass in conductor (pushing of knob start on the keyboard and the selection of conductor), and then into the root of disk C: =, where two folders were created. In one of them there is podpapka sources, where you should copy files boot.wim, and install.wim. After copying you can continue installation. Author: udman_.xakep

Although I cannot seem to understand it very well. I installed Win32Dasm, and opened the file. I could not find the actual "while copying Setup files" text, but I did run the 'finder text' tool, and the finder text tool said it found it and directed me to that part, even though I did not see that actual text ... so I am not sure if it was really there. So I proceeded to scroll up anyway to find the 'JNE 448797B4', but I couldn't find even any 'JNE' text, so I really just gave up from there.

Some people say that it works after the burn it onto a DVD-ROM, and some people say that it still does not work, and they still get the same error. Would it be possible to erase a DVD-ROM and then burn it onto there? I'm not sure if I can find one somewhere ... I don't particularly want to buy DVD-ROMs, as they are quite expensive and I rarely burn DVDs (forget about even knowing how to burn them...).

Well, I would extremely appreciate anymore help someone can give me to fix this problem. Thank you very much in advance! :)
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:29 PM

All replies

• Nevermind, I have found a solution to this.

I then proceeded to install Windows Vista.

I used my computer with Vista for a week.

It slowed my computer down terribly (not to mention which has 1 GB of RAM (well, at least I consider 1 GB of RAM a lot).

So then I reformatted back to Windows XP.

And I am now happy. =)

Sunday, November 26, 2006 7:44 PM
  • Dreamee,

It would be nice of you to post the solution as there are so many of us who are still struggling with this error. Some of us have spent days on this as you did.

Just a thought.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:09 PM
  • So what revelation can you offer for a simular experience.
    Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:09 AM
  • Who doesn t know, how install Vista using this way (install Vista without DVD drive from WinXP), must read this. I m from Czech rep., so I m sorry for grammatical mistakes:) 

Do everything what is writen above (like using WIN32Dasm to hack winsetup.dll). In this step (searching for @Offset) you have to be accurate (? precise?:) Number you are searching for is on the bottom on "status line" when cursor is on "JNE xxxxx" line. Write every potential number on the paper. If you cannot read the file because of wrong font, you can change font in "FILE" menu. Arial works for me.

Next step: WinHex. Code is disparted to the lines (rows) and columns. First two numbers after zeroes are row numbers (for example if you find 00074335h as me, you must go to the row "00074330" and in "h" column change number x5 to x4, or x4 to x5. Why "x"? Because I found 74 and I changed it to 75 and it works :) If this doesn t work, you have wrong number! Change it back and try again (I spent on it about 3 hours:))

Last step: Start setup.exe, wait for installation, after restart choose last system (or old system... NOT VISTA:). Find two folders (on "C:"). There is "sources" folder in both of them, so copy install.wim and boot.wim only into that one which looks like installation folder (there are more folders). If it doesn t work, try it again... Start or (repair WinXp system; repair only boot from console started by WinXp boot CD), delete all folders that look like Vista installation folders and start setup.exe again. Old system again, copy boot.wim and install.wim in the same location, but try copy boot.wim in the " C:// " location, now. You can copy boot.wim in the second Vista installation folder too... I don t know exactly how I winally did it, but this is all I have done.

Reply to this post if you have any questions or if this help you:)

PS: podpapka is "under folder"- "folder in folder" in russion language.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 12:35 PM
  • Mozes to PLS hodit do slovenciny som trosku z toho vol
    Monday, January 8, 2007 9:14 PM
  • Spíš napiš co konkrétně nechápeš... Fakt se mi to nechce psát celé znovu :)
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:33 PM
  • i don't get the instructions, did i work for anyone else?
    and what was your solution anyway dreamee?
    Friday, January 12, 2007 12:41 PM
  • It did work for me. And I wrote my solution... try it:)
    Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:02 PM
  • sooo do i just try it your way and not dreamee's? I'm nooby about these things, if you could, could you do like a quick guide, cause it'll probably would help a lot of people not just me 
    Monday, January 15, 2007 4:50 AM
  • hey rastakajkawanna,

for some reason i don't have a 'h' column, and how do you edit?

Monday, January 15, 2007 6:59 AM
  • My way is dreamee`s way- but with solution on things that he doesn`t resolve or wrote here. Try his version, if it doesn`t work (or you don´t know) then try my version. Print this page (or our two posts) before you start any installation!! Anything else?:))
    Monday, January 15, 2007 8:04 PM
  • well, the copying files worked, until  the expanding process and then an windows message box comes up and says 'windows cannot install required files,make sure all files required for installation are available , and restart the installation' i got the worst luck ever o.0
    Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:08 AM
  • Yes, I know this message because I saw it too... Try copy file "boot.wim" everywhere I wrote above. It is only about copying this file to the right place. I didn`t remember where is the RIGHT PLACE - i copied it everywhere on the disk (only C:!!!) :))

Have you got both temp folders (after reboot) on the same partition? It is important... Have you got right folders?? Sometimes it create (wrong) folders - Boot and another one (i could`t remember exact name) but they aren`t same name as mine and dreamiee`s...

Saturday, January 20, 2007 7:21 PM
  • I don`t know which "h" column...
    Saturday, January 20, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Hello everybody,

Having the same 80070241 error code is what brought me here. I downloaded the Vista build 6000 through internet and i got two copies; English and Spanish. What i need really is the English version so i started exctracting the ISO file successfully and farther to installation.........50% progress bar came the error code 0x80070241. after searching google i found that a large number of people having this problem so, for fun i tried the Spanish version even if i do not speak spanish and IT WORKS like hell, wonderful and i still have it now and installation was clear from errors. How can that happen? no problem with the spanish but with the english version? i tried to copy the install.wim from the spanish to the english but the results was spanish again. The question is how can i mix the two windows and get one english working one! will appricate any help

Thank you

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Right- the problem is this- Vista does not support alcohol- if you need to use a virtual drive application then use powerISO instead- that will work fine, hope this helps guys.
    Sunday, February 4, 2007 11:51 AM
  • there is no h column in winhex, what do you mean?
    Monday, February 5, 2007 3:55 AM
  • Hi to all,

I was stuck in the exact situation as all and have tried out all methods listed: powerISO, copying boot.wim and install.wim, blah, blah, but none of them worked for me. However I found another solution while Google-ing for "0x80070241 winhex" and it worked like magic. Here are the instructions:

When the ISO file is downloaded/unrar-ed, - DON'T burn this to DVD yet as it contains a minor error and installation will probably FAIL. Open up a hex editor such as WinHex and go to offset 0x4E932855. Make this change here: byte 0xFD should be 0xFF. Save the file.  Your ISO is now ready for mounting/burning. The installation would work even when not installed from a DVD.

Cheers~
    Monday, February 5, 2007 3:55 PM
  • I tried the weird intructions but in WinHex I don't have 84 or 85 in the line and certainly not H collum.

then I don't under stand what a popapka Sources folder is LMAO.

Copy those 2 files to ~BT or ~LS?

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Hello Man,

This is so frustating I did everything but I'm having problems after the computer restart. I copy the boot.wim and install.wim in both temp folders, inside the source folder, and also to C:\\... Do you have anymore tips or working around to this... It is making me crazy...

Thanks

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:45 AM
  • Hi catchingup,

Thanks so much for this info, it worked like a charm!
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 1:48 PM
  • i am really new to this, and I can't find offset 0x4E932855. i have been trying this for a really loooong time! please help me!!!!

catchingup wrote:
    Hi to all,

I was stuck in the exact situation as all and have tried out all methods listed: powerISO, copying boot.wim and install.wim, blah, blah, but none of them worked for me. However I found another solution while Google-ing for "0x80070241 winhex" and it worked like magic. Here are the instructions:

When the ISO file is downloaded/unrar-ed, - DON'T burn this to DVD yet as it contains a minor error and installation will probably FAIL. Open up a hex editor such as WinHex and go to offset 0x4E932855. Make this change here: byte 0xFD should be 0xFF. Save the file. Your ISO is now ready for mounting/burning. The installation would work even when not installed from a DVD.

Cheers~
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:50 AM
  • i would really appreciate it if someone could just e-mail me the winsetup.dll file already hacked... I am sort of a "n00b" at this...

tirth_patel@hotmail.com

thank you in advance! :)
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 11:39 PM
  • you guys are amatures your wim is curoped on your image you need to go to http://www.vlite.net/ download there tool follow directions and rebuild your iso garenty you will not get this error i already made my perfect image with this tool the iso you have is still usable you just need to use this tool to rebuild the wim hope this helps
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 6:49 AM
  • No more tips... I wrote everything I know. Buy new DVD drive, there are no problems while you install it by boot installer.

First time I had some problems too and I really don`t know why... Next setup- no problem. There were same problems on my friend`s PC, finally we install it from boot. Sorry

Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:47 PM
  • I successfully installed windows vista from harddisk.Before This i was facing the error 80070241 which interupts the setup.then i read the russian guide somewhere and found the solution.

Now Here Is the procedure what i did and was able  to install windows vista from harddisk and avoiding error:

1)Copy all files from dvd to newly formated NTFS drive in the root directory.

2)Now you need to crack a file winsetup.dll if you're facing the error 80070241 .you will need 2 softwares for this procedure.winhex(13.6) and win32dasm 10.

3)open the winsetup.dll file with win32dasm and search for the text "while copying setup files".Now go up by pressing up arrow key until you will see the word jne XXXXXXXX.Click On This Line,then look at the statusbar.you will see something like this "<@Offset 00068D07h"(your's may be different).Now note down the number after offset e.g:00067D07h

4)Now open the winsetup file with the winhex and write in offset search what u find the number above after @offset.but remove h from this number.i.e in my case it will be 00068D07.now if your cursor is at 75 change it to 74.and if 74 then change it to 75.save the file.and replace it with the file placed in the drive where you copied vista files.sources\winsetup.dll

5)Start a command prompt and issue the following commands - where x is the drive letter of NTFS drive where you placed vista.

x:
    cd /boot
    bootsect /nt60 x: /force

6)Install Vista from the harddisk.it will restart after sometime during installation.

7)Boot from the disk - Windows setup should load.Now Hold Cntrl key,the command prompt will open.

Issue the following commands

X:
    cd /boot
    del bcd

bcdedit /createstore

now restart the pc and your installation will resume from 27%.Now Continue as you are installing from the dvd.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:42 AM
  • i have the same number with yours..luckily:) ''00074335'' i changed x4 to x5..but i cuoldn't save it because my winhex version is not full...could you send me the file 'winsetup.dll'(changed one:))or could you give me an internet adress providing winhex 13.8 full version...thanks a lot..berkontomountain@gmail.com
    Friday, February 23, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Okay I've opened up the winsetup.dll from the source folder and when i did a "find text" option with win32dasm program. I typed "while copying files" and nothing showed up...said: NOT FOUND

can someone help me at this point...

Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:51 AM
  • I finally figured it out, but still haven't had the chance to install Vista yet because I'm using the same computer but here is exactly what I did (for those who are still lost).

Download WinHex and Win32Dasm.

1. Open up Win32Dasm -->Disassembler --->open file to disassemble..
    • at this point locate where ever you saved your windows vista files. Here is an example of my computer: C:\Windows Vista Setup\sources
    • then find winsetup.dll and CLICK ON IT!
    • it will take few seconds/minutes to load
    • once it is loaded there seems to be a problem "decoding" the information to show up in proper text (showed up in symbols for me at first)....if you have this problem click Disassembler again and then go down to FONT ---> select font (choose what ever best fits you)
    2. Now hit the Search button on the top and click "Find Text"
    • type: while copying Setup files
    3. Press up on the arrow key until you find JNE.....(the numbers after JNE will be different from everyone else)
    • here is example of mine: jne 369B4DAF
    • once it is highlighted LOOK DOWN at the status bar (when i mean look, i mean using your EYES)....
    • you should see something that says "@Offset (your own number with an H at the end)
    • example: @Offset 00074335h
    • COPY THAT NUMBER (write it down somewhere)
    4.  Close Win32Dasm

5.  Open up WinHex --->File --->Open --->winsetup.dll (same file as before)

6.  Press: ALT+G
    • should be a field saying: New Position
    • in the new position type in the offset number BUT remember to take off the H
    • example: New Position: 00074335
    • hit "okay"
    • then it should automatically flash/highlight a number for you (usually a 75, 74, 85,84 can be any of those numbers depending on what it is for you)
    • for me it was flashing the 5 on 75 and all i did was press 4 to change it
    • so for the two digit number it will ask or allow you to change only one digit (the last one)....if its a 4, then change it to a 5, and if its a 5, then change it to 4 (pretty simple)
    • YOUR DONE now SAVE IT
    7.  Now if I'm correct (haven't tried it yet) you use the setup.exe file in your SOURCE FOLDER (example: C:\Windows Vista Setup\sources)

Hope that helps all i got done now and thought I'd quickly post my results on how i used winhex and win32dasm before i actually install vista. (hoping it works...will post results after)
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:43 AM
  • Greetings,
    I read through this entire posting and also similar postings on other forums.
    Looks like there is a bug in the installer when we try to install Vista from a media other than from the DVD.
    I haven't tried the disassembler/ hex editor method, but what I did was use the vlite program vlite 0.9 beta from http://www.vlite.net/download.html

I extracted Vista 64-bit Business from my DVD (on a machine with DVD ROM drive) using vLITE. There isn't much to do in vlite, just a few clicks and it extracts stuff with default values. This resulted in an ISO image around 2.7 GB containing only Vista Business.

Next, I extracted the ISO to a folder on the same machine using MagicISO.
    Seems like vlite had already taken care of the necessary modifications.

Now, on my target machine (a Core 2 based system), I simply connected via network sharing to the machine where I had extracted the ISO files (around 2.7 GB) and installed it from the network itself and it went smoothly.

Now using Vista 64-bit!

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:59 AM
  • Dear dreamee
    I hd faced a similar situation in which the error code 0x80070241 showed up at 48% of vista installation.

Its due to some problems with vista installer and can be rectified easily.

You need to copy the vista setup on ur hard drive then install vlite 9.0 beta
    (http://www.vlite.net/).

Now make an iso image of vista by using vlite 9.0

Using the new iso image install vista
    without a error.The vlite software removes the installer errors present in the vista dvd.

U may burn the new iso or extract it to harddisk and install it from there.
    But keep in mind you need any vista dvd in the dvd drive after setup restarts.

The setup needs vista dvd for short time.
    This is all u hv to do.

Have fun with Windows Vista

Karan Sanil
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 7:39 AM
  • How do I extract it to the harddisk or harddrive?
    Monday, March 12, 2007 12:50 AM
  • i am not able to change "winsetup.dll" . so, if u plz can send me the file through email.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:05 PM
  • Wrong!

This doesn't work at all...

I've tried.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 9:43 PM
  • I have had this happen a couple of times now. The solution was to get a different DVD drive. Some DVD drives will not install Vista.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:03 PM
  • RyanPon said:

I finally figured it out, but still haven't had the chance to install Vista yet because I'm using the same computer but here is exactly what I did (for those who are still lost).

Download WinHex and Win32Dasm.

1. Open up Win32Dasm -->Disassembler --->open file to disassemble..

• at this point locate where ever you saved your windows vista files. Here is an example of my computer: C:\Windows Vista Setup\sources
    • then find winsetup.dll and CLICK ON IT!
    • it will take few seconds/minutes to load
    • once it is loaded there seems to be a problem "decoding" the information to show up in proper text (showed up in symbols for me at first)....if you have this problem click Disassembler again and then go down to FONT ---> select font (choose what ever best fits you)
    2. Now hit the Search button on the top and click "Find Text"
    • type: while copying Setup files
    3. Press up on the arrow key until you find JNE.....(the numbers after JNE will be different from everyone else)
    • here is example of mine: jne 369B4DAF
    • once it is highlighted LOOK DOWN at the status bar (when i mean look, i mean using your EYES)....
    • you should see something that says "@Offset (your own number with an H at the end)
    • example: @Offset 00074335h
    • COPY THAT NUMBER (write it down somewhere)
    4.  Close Win32Dasm

5.  Open up WinHex --->File --->Open --->winsetup.dll (same file as before)

6.  Press: ALT+G
    • should be a field saying: New Position
    • in the new position type in the offset number BUT remember to take off the H
    • example: New Position: 00074335
    • hit "okay"
    • then it should automatically flash/highlight a number for you (usually a 75, 74, 85,84 can be any of those numbers depending on what it is for you)
    • for me it was flashing the 5 on 75 and all i did was press 4 to change it
    • so for the two digit number it will ask or allow you to change only one digit (the last one)....if its a 4, then change it to a 5, and if its a 5, then change it to 4 (pretty simple)
    • YOUR DONE now SAVE IT
    7.  Now if I'm correct (haven't tried it yet) you use the setup.exe file in your SOURCE FOLDER (example: C:\Windows Vista Setup\sources)

Hope that helps all i got done now and thought I'd quickly post my results on how i used winhex and win32dasm before i actually install vista. (hoping it works...will post results after)

My @Offset is the same as yours... 00074335... but it highlight the number "7" of "72"... on the right side it highlights an "r" (the first) of "error" on the phrase "...oBlackboard: Error while checking disk..." (All this on the Hex editor). Obviously its not the value I'm supposed to change... so... how does it look the phrase on the right bar, so I can identify easyer..
    Thx

Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:44 AM