none
BladeLogic 7.4.1

General discussion

• Please note for this recipe I will provide the instructions for 4.6 SP2. These instructions can also assist if using App-V 5.0. An important thing to note. You may require Kerberos Authentication to be enabled in your environment for login to work in this application. You can set this via a GPO or by scripting the registry to merge into the local registry using App-V 5.0 Deployment Config.

Step 1 - Prepare the sequencing machine by adding the following Exclusions to the Exclusions list:

Launch the App-V Sequencer. Browse to Tools-->Options

%CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA%\Microsoft\RAC

%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\Installer

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Step 2 - Sequence the Application

Choose all defaults in the App-V Sequencing Wizard until you get to the window prompting you to provide a Package name. Name the package accordingly e.g. BMC BladeLogic 7.4.1. Take note of the Primary Directory e.g. Q:\BMC BladeLogic 7.4.1 as you'll want to install the application here, if using 4.6. Click Next.

If you use App-V 5.0 your primary directory can be the Installdir for this applicaton which is C:\Program Files (x86)\BladeLogic

Choose Perform a custom installation. Click Next.

Launch OM741-W32.exe. Ensure you select custom during the installation, For this application I allow it to install to the default Install Directory.

Check the box to indicate the install has been completed once you have successfully installed the application.

One the next screen you can launch the app to ensure there's no unexpected prompts or errors. Once at the login dialog you should close, this application requires authentication and you don't want to capture your own credentials. Click Next.

If you would like to stream from a server you should choose to customize the application further. This will allow you to modify the File Type associations and shortcut if you would like. Include the File types you would like. I removed .tif and .tiff. Leaving only .mdi which is the file type I had issues with on Windows 7.

Now you may launch to capture the Feature Block 1 (What will appear first to the user) Here I launch the application and then close them again, not much for this one because of the login as mentioned earlier.

You can then either save or continue to modify. Continue to modify. You will now see the Sequencer Interface with multiple tabs e.g. Deployment, Files, Virtual Registry etc. You should check your Virtual Registry for any hardcoded references or references to your machine name and username. Delete if they exist. If using App-V 5.0 it might be a good idea to select to download the application autmotically due to it's size.

When complete you may select File-->SaveAs

Save the application to the relevant path (what you set in the Deployment tab)

Step 3 - Machine Level Registry for Kerberos Authentication.

Personally, I believe something such as Kerberos Authentication being enabled in your environment should be a decision made by a security team member and also likely handled via a GPO rather than set by the application. This is how you should do it for both App-V 4.6 SP1\SP2 and App-V 5.0, however with App-V 5.0 you now have an option to set these kinds of settings at the machine level using the Deployment Config file.

The Registry setting required is:

In App-V 5.0 you may put this into the Deployment Config file e.g:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos\Parameters]
    "allowtgtsessionkey"=dword:00000001

<Include>
              <Key Path="\REGISTRY\Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos\Parameters">
              <Value Type="REG_DWORD" Name="allowtgtsessionkey" Data="00000001"/>
              </Key>
              <Key Path="\REGISTRY\Machine\Software\EmptyKey"/>
     </Include>

Step 4 - Application Complete

You can now deploy the application however you see fit. Just remember the registry is required for this to work as Kerberos Authentication may be used.

I hope this is helpful for somebody!

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:07 PM