none
Microsoft Project Standard vs. Microsoft Project Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hey gang,

I always thought that the difference between Standard and Professional could be summed up this way:

One of them (Professional) permits you to connect to Microsoft® Project Server (particularly now in version 2013).

However, in reading this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750929.aspx

It states: 

• " ... Microsoft Project Standard can be used stand-alone, or in combination with Microsoft Project Server for more advanced team collaboration..."

Is this true/ correct?  Can Project Standalone 2013 connect to Project Server???

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)

Friday, December 26, 2014 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Spiro, This article applied to 2002 version. I do not have enough experience with Project 2002 to confirm it, but at least since Project 2003, you do need MS Project Pro in order to create an account and connect to Project Server.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, December 26, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Hi Spiro, i am certain that this is not the case, atleast with Project 2007/2010/2013 version.

also i have noticed that this article is referring to Project 2002 version, which leads to the doubt that its pretty outdated article.

Please refer, for Project 2013 editions, to this updated post where its mentioned that collaboration with SharePoint/ProjectServer is not possible with standard edition.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/project/compare-microsoft-project-offerings-ms-project-FX103797367.aspx

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Friday, December 26, 2014 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Spiro, This article applied to 2002 version. I do not have enough experience with Project 2002 to confirm it, but at least since Project 2003, you do need MS Project Pro in order to create an account and connect to Project Server.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, December 26, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Hi Spiro, i am certain that this is not the case, atleast with Project 2007/2010/2013 version.

also i have noticed that this article is referring to Project 2002 version, which leads to the doubt that its pretty outdated article.

Please refer, for Project 2013 editions, to this updated post where its mentioned that collaboration with SharePoint/ProjectServer is not possible with standard edition.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/project/compare-microsoft-project-offerings-ms-project-FX103797367.aspx

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Friday, December 26, 2014 2:45 PM