2 wired network adapters on 1 computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 wired network adapters on 1 computer (windows XP sp3). I used to use on board one, but now I want to use the plugged in one. The problem is I don't know how to use it because windows doesn't automatically change to it. Could you show me how to do this?

In additional, I want to connect this computer to the other one using the plugged in adapter, and the other computer will connect directly to the internet. Can I do this and how?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Pham Thanh Long

Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:39 AM

All replies

• Switching between the two should be fairly straight forward, assuming Windows has both adaptors detected and installed obviously. Down by the clock, right click on the network icon and select Open Network Connections (if that's not visible, go to Start, Control Panel, make sure you're in classic view mode, then open Network Connections). Confirm that both adaptors are listed.

Right click on the currently used adaptor and go into Properties, then select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". If the IP and DNS settings are set to obtain them automatically then that's simple, if they're statically assigned then make a note of the settings and come out of there. Right click on the adaptor and select Disable. Now right click on the adaptor you want to use and if Enable is listed then click it. Go into the properties of this adaptor and set the IP and DNS address details to the same as they were on the other adaptor, and close those windows. Now, if you move the network cable from the onboard network connection to the other one you should find that Windows starts to use that one.

In terms of connecting to the other machine, I assume you mean using the onboard adaptor that is now unused? That's possible but a little more tricky. You could connect direct between that adaptor and another computer (though if you're going direct rather than via a switch/hub then you need to use a crossover cable not a normal network cable). You'll need to setup the network IP address details on this adaptor, and they must be on a different network range to the one you've just configured for your main network. The two machines can now talk to each other using that adaptor.

If you want to be able to access the internet via that second computer (note, you can't have internet access via the other computer AND the normal network since only one adaptor can be configured with a gateway address) then you'd need to configure Internet Connection Sharing on the other computer as described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:45 AM