none
How do I backup/export IE11 passwords? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 8.1 uses the Credentials Manager to export some credentials. It does not backup the passwords in IE11.

There appears to be no central registry location where passwords are stored.  I'd rather use IE's saved passwords rather than a third-party; such as Identity Safe from Norton.  This question was addressed in the Microsoft Community with no results.  Here's the link to Microsoft Community.

Any reasonable tips or direction will be greatly appreciated.

As always - TIA

Friday, May 23, 2014 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Internet Explorer 11's password is also storing in Credential Manager as Web Credentials. Web Credentials helps Internet Explorer 11 to store your web passwords securely. The Credential Manager manages your credentials using the Credential Locker service, which creates and maintains a secure storage area on the local computer that stores user names and passwords the user saved from websites and Windows 8 apps. In the Credential Manager, under Web Credentials, you will be able to see all your stored web passwords. To see the passwords behind the asterisks mark, you can click on Show. Windows will ask you for your login password to verify your identity.

Please check as following steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer > Internet Options > Content tab. Under AutoComplete, click on Settings.

2. In the AutoComplete Settings box, click on Manage Passwords.

3. This will open the Windows Credential Manager. The Credential Manager helps you store credentials such as user names and passwords in a single, convenient place. These credentials, which you use to sign in to websites or other PCs on a network, are saved in special folders on your PC. Windows can securely access these folders and use your stored credentials to automatically sign you in to websites or other PCs.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 6:55 AM
  • While searching for other folders I found the folder where Microsoft stores the passwords.

Look in <C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Vault> there will be a sub-directory.  Mine is named <4BF4C442-9B8A-41A0-B380-DD4A704DDB28>.  You'll find files like: 0D51B6FD1E650DEEE53C6D20D05CDA37E9DE9243.vcrd.

HTH

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, For Internet Explorer 11 under Windows 8.1, it stored inside the 'Windows Vault', located in the file system under

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Vault\4BF4C442-9B8A-41A0-B380-DD4A704DDB28

However, you can not export and import directly. Thus Like I suggested above, please use it in the local computer via Autocomplate feature.

Karen Hu

Friday, August 29, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, For Internet Explorer 11 under Windows 8.1, it stored inside the 'Windows Vault', located in the file system under

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Vault\4BF4C442-9B8A-41A0-B380-DD4A704DDB28

However, you can not export and import directly. Thus Like I suggested above, please use it in the local computer via Autocomplate feature.

Karen Hu

Thank you for your clarification.  The question is still unanswered I think.  The reason I press this is I've had to refresh my 8.1 laptop twice and it isn't clear how to restore IE11 passwords.
    • Proposed as answer by Kristenson Friday, August 25, 2017 7:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kristenson Friday, August 25, 2017 7:25 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 7:34 AM
  • Same issue.
    Friday, August 25, 2017 7:26 PM