Motherboard Replaced--Vista won't start RRS feed

• Question

• I read an internet article about someone moving a system hard drive to another computer. I have a similar situation--I replaced a failed OEM motherboard, manufactured by Asus with a retail Intel motherboard. I was not as lucky as the person moving the hard drive--I couldn't get Vista to start.

The hard drive was not corrupted--I copied data by removing the drive and connecting to another computer via USB to SATA adapter (DriveWire, manufactured by Apricorn, Inc.).

With the hard drive back in the case, the new motherboard installed and BIOS configured, the PC would boot, but Windows Vista would not start. Vista attempted repair but failed. I attempted Vista startup in normal, safe mode and command prompt.

The computer did not come with a Vista installation disc--it had a system restore hard drive partition, which will only clone the hard drive to its original condition. With Windows XP, it was possible to interrupt XP at startup and replace drivers. I've read references stating that this is not possible with Vista--even with a Vista installation disc.

I need a method to replace drivers before Vista starts--or a way to get Vista to start and permit driver replacement.

Note that I could remove the drive and replace files manually with USB to SATA adapter using another computer--I don't know file names, file locations, registry keys affected, etc.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:15 PM

All replies

• well, first let's hope you have swapped right board, northbridge are more of concern in these swaps, there a lot tweek that will work eventually, but if the northbrige with chipset not remotely similar, then it would be a project, it's hard cheat Asus Bios, but let's see what you got
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:48 AM
  • I spent a lot of time on this problem... without finding a solution.

I gave up and purchased (retail version) 64-bit Windows 7 and installed it on a new hard drive. I'm still reading the old hard drive via DriveWire adapter. Eventually, I'll format the old drive and install it as a secondary drive.

The main unresolved issue I have is locating drivers and software for the LightScribe DVD Writer. It is an HP OEM model RX881-69001. Windows 7 Device Manager identifies it as "TSST Corp. TS-H653Q."

Everything else seems to work well.

I'm not very happy with Windows 7:

1) Twice, some of my shortcut icons disappeared--not all of them like some users report.

2) I had to import "Contacts" into the address book for Windows Live Mail. Windows Mail in Vista used "Contacts" directly.

3) Windows Live Mail doesn't have "Source Edit."

When I watch TV commercials for Windows 7--where various people claim responsibility--I'm reminded of an old adage, "The giraffe must have been a horse designed by committee."

I've heard "first hand" that Windows 7 solved Vista software compatibility issues. Unlike Vista, Windows 7 is reported to run software applications as well as XP...

Monday, May 10, 2010 10:28 PM