Recovery Wizard missing from MDT welcome menu RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to get the Recovery Wizard to show on the MDT 2013 welcome screen when doing a PXE boot.

One thing I did want to clarify, if the client pc doesn't have a recovery partition is this why I don't get to run the wizard?

Im wanting to see the recovery wizard option so I can go in and run the DART Locksmith tools

MDT 2013

Windows 7

Dart 8

I thing I've tried everything and getting nowhere!

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:20 PM

Answers

• MDT uses a round about way to get the Recovery wizard to work in MDT Litetouch console.

THe recovery tools are not included by default in the WAIK, so MDT extracts these components from a working boot.wim from one of your OS install sources.

Can you do a dump of all the WinPE WIM files in question:

DISM.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\Path\To\Wim\winpe.wim /Index:1

Dump the boot.wim in your <deploymentShare>\Operating Systems\<OS>\sources\boot.wim

and the wimpe.wim under the c:\program files(x86)\windows kits\...\WinPE.wim

Both files must exist on your machine *and* they must be the same OS Version.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:19 PM

All replies

• First of all, the property: SkipBDDWelcome=YES in bootstrap.ini makes sure the welcome wizard from where you can start DaRT is disabled.

Secondly, DaRT is an MDOP / Software Assurance feature. Not having Software Assurance, does not grant you the availability of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (which also concludes App-V 5.0) and the Disaster and Recovery Toolkit.

Please have a look at how to embed DaRT within MDT, there are several guides to find on the internet on how to achieve this.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:16 PM
  • SkipBDDWelcome=NO in bootstrap.ini

We have software assurance, DART option appears but we don't get the Recovery Wizard option

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:29 PM
  • MDT uses a round about way to get the Recovery wizard to work in MDT Litetouch console.

THe recovery tools are not included by default in the WAIK, so MDT extracts these components from a working boot.wim from one of your OS install sources.

Can you do a dump of all the WinPE WIM files in question:

DISM.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\Path\To\Wim\winpe.wim /Index:1

Dump the boot.wim in your <deploymentShare>\Operating Systems\<OS>\sources\boot.wim

and the wimpe.wim under the c:\program files(x86)\windows kits\...\WinPE.wim

Both files must exist on your machine *and* they must be the same OS Version.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Thanks for your assistance, ive seen your answer on someones else post previously and it didn't assist me, ive followed so many forum posts.

In the end I have cheated and forced it to use the correct WIM and it works.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c8a36347-5739-44df-8b77-42a5a32b241d/dart-in-mdt-2013?forum=mdt

Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:04 PM