Adobe reader not opening RRS feed

• Question

• I have sequenced an application that requires Adobe reader to open the online manuals for the application. The application opens and runs fine, but whenever I try to open the shortcut for the PDF I get an error stating "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found."
    Adobe reader was sequenced as a separate application.
    The odd thing is that if I physically install Adobe reader onto one of the workstations the online PDF opens with no problem. What am missing to get the PDF open with the sequenced version of Adobe?
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• If Adobe Reader is a pre-requisite for your application and you do not want it inside the suite, then try Dynamic Suiting:
    http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/appv/dynamic.mspx

Here is a document with step by step instructions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DAA898DF-455F-438A-AA2A-421F05894098&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:16 PM
  • I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!!

Monday, June 15, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Hello

Here is one more document that might help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843662.aspx

Thanks,
    Dan Bernhardt [MSFT]
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Its still not able to open up the PDF. I installed Adobe locally, sequenced the primary application and everything launches perfectly from the sequencing machine. Upon completion I make Adobe a dependency of the primary applications OSD file, but when I try to launch the manual from my test machine I'm still getting the same error.

Here is a copy of the OSD file that requires Adobe to open the manual

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="0D43EF12-1828-49A7-A6DC-42C4DB01DBD0" NAME="Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual" VERSION="1.0">
      <IMPLEMENTATION>
        <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://server:554/Computrition/Computrition_3.sft" GUID="B3274286-3F0F-4888-88E5-F1CAA3C9D834" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Computrition\Hospitality Suite\On-Line Manual\HS.PDF" SYSGUARDFILE="Computrition\osguard.cp" SIZE="870437171" />
        <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
          <ENVLIST>
            <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="PATH">C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\BIN;%PATH%;%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer\;</ENVIRONMENT>
          </ENVLIST>
        </VIRTUALENV>
        <WORKINGDIR>%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Computrition\Hospitality Suite</WORKINGDIR>
        <VM VALUE="Win32">
          <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows" />
        </VM>
      </IMPLEMENTATION>
      <DEPENDENCY>
        <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.5.0.0" />
        <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://server:554/Adberdr.91/Adberdr.91_4.sft" GUID="232C381B-6A76-49C1-9C17-4ECFA933750B" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="Adberdr.91\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="Adberdr.91\osguard.cp" SIZE="311152954" />
      </DEPENDENCY>
      <PACKAGE NAME="Computrition" />
      <ABSTRACT />
      <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
        <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\Computrition\Hospitality Suite" FILENAME="Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Computrition Icons/Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual.ico" />
        <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_STARTMENU%\Computrition Hospitality Suite" FILENAME="Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Computrition Icons/Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual.ico" />
        <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%" FILENAME="" OVERRIDDEN="TRUE" DISPLAY="Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Computrition Icons/Hospitality Suite On-Line Manual.ico" />
      </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
        <PROGIDLIST />
        <FILEEXTENSIONLIST />
      </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

I appreciate any help anyone can give.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Dont ask me how but I just got  it to work!!!

I think it was because I left out the MANDATORY line in the codebase.
    I also removed the Filename and Size.

Thanks for the help!
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:25 PM
  • What mandatory does it steam the secondary packages along with the primary package. In your case, as the acrobat was marked as secondary package it was not streamed along with the primary package thus Operating system did not knew how to open the pdf files. but when you made it mandatory then it also got streamed on the clent machine with primary package and App-V knew how to handle the pdf files.

GNU developer by choice ....
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:38 AM