Will Alternate Data Streams be supported in Windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• Will Alternate Data Streams be supported in Windows 8? 

Thanks in advance

Friday, April 6, 2012 6:20 PM

Answers

• I received the following answer from Microsoft:

"The file system that you normally use is NTFS. Alternate data streams are still supported in NTFS for Windows 8. The new file system that we will also be providing in Windows 8 is ReFS. ReFS doesn't support Alternate data streams." 

Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:19 PM

All replies

• Could you specify about what data stream are you refering to?

If you refer to applications or metro apps that connect to cloud-base system, it is possible to develop application that use third-party data .

Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:04 PM
  • NTFS compatibility would be very broken without support for ADS, so don't expect it to disappear just yet :)

ReFS is a different story, potentially...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/16/building-the-next-generation-file-system-for-windows-refs.aspx

Don

Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Hello,

I just make a test of ADS support in Windows 8 CP and it's working. As Don say, alternate datastream is part of NTFS so it's normal that it's still working. I make a simple test with only one file and one ADS linked to it and I had no problem writing it or reading it.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:17 AM
  • I received the following answer from Microsoft:

"The file system that you normally use is NTFS. Alternate data streams are still supported in NTFS for Windows 8. The new file system that we will also be providing in Windows 8 is ReFS. ReFS doesn't support Alternate data streams." 

Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:19 PM