none
New AD domain, Server 2012 r2, can I use Unix print server and DNS? RRS feed

• Question

1. VERY small office environment...currently exists as a workgroup, I've build a domain controller using Server 2012 r2.  Environment is Windows 10 (mostly, I think there is one or two ancient Vista and/or 7 boxes) desktops/workstations, Mac fileserver, FreeBSD DNS....Can I set up DNS on the new domain controller just having it forward all requests to the two Unix DNS servers as forwarders rather than the Windows server being an actual DNS server itself (I know this works from Window server to Window server, just not sure about Windows server to Unix box)?
    2. One of the Unix servers currently serves print server, can I use that as the print server for the domain or do they have to be joined to the domain in some fashion, or do I have to use the Windows server as the print server?

Eventually the workgroup will go away, but for now I've stood up the domain in parallel and it is basically empty...I'd like to get everything ready to go, and a test box or two added to test for proper functionality before I migrate workstations and users to the domain.

Thanks!

Monday, November 7, 2016 3:52 AM

All replies

1. VERY small office environment...currently exists as a workgroup, I've build a domain controller using Server 2012 r2.  Environment is Windows 10 (mostly, I think there is one or two ancient Vista and/or 7 boxes) desktops/workstations, Mac fileserver, FreeBSD DNS....Can I set up DNS on the new domain controller just having it forward all requests to the two Unix DNS servers as forwarders rather than the Windows server being an actual DNS server itself (I know this works from Window server to Window server, just not sure about Windows server to Unix box)?
    2. One of the Unix servers currently serves print server, can I use that as the print server for the domain or do they have to be joined to the domain in some fashion, or do I have to use the Windows server as the print server?

Eventually the workgroup will go away, but for now I've stood up the domain in parallel and it is basically empty...I'd like to get everything ready to go, and a test box or two added to test for proper functionality before I migrate workstations and users to the domain.

Thanks!

Monday, November 7, 2016 7:06 PM
  • Hi Zfrawg,

>> ....Can I set up DNS on the new domain controller just having it forward all requests to the two Unix DNS servers as forwarders rather than the Windows server being an actual DNS server itself

As far as I know, it could be deployed.

>> can I use that as the print server for the domain or do they have to be joined to the domain in some fashion, or do I have to use the Windows server as the print server?

You need to add print server to domain.

You could check article below to deploy it:

How to Join UNIX / Linux to Active Directory

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25944.how-to-join-unix-linux-to-active-directory.aspx

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:10 AM