none
SCCM Remote Control grid lines RRS feed

• Question

• Since deploying the August security patch bundle last week, our Help Desk is reporting they are seeing grid lines covering Remote Tools sessions.  Scrolling over the grid lines makes them disappear.  We are running SCCM 2007 SP1 R2, with XP-SP3 clients.  Ideas?

I'm not convinced that it is related to the security patch deployment.  The problem also appears to be intermittent.

Thanks,
    Nick. 

Monday, August 31, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• Actually if you just install RDP 6 for your selected OS it fixes the issue. I just verified on 2 machines running XP pro.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:07 PM

All replies

• We are also experiencing the same issue after applying Aug security patches. I am still looking in to this. If any one find any solution, please let me know.

Regards,
    Paparao
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:34 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem. Mine also coincided with the August patch application. Are you serving the administrator console up via TS or Citrix?

I have an open case with Premier Support (System Center group) about this issue, and am waiting to hear back. If we find a solution I'll be sure to share it here.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:52 PM
  • I got up to this far...

KB958469 - is updating Remote Desktop files and thus causing this issue. If I delete the patch and reboot the system, the remote tools back to normal.

Regards,
    Paparao
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:34 PM
  • All,

I found the follwing.

I am using Windows 2003 SP2 terminal server to publish SCCM console and provide access to remote tools for pur helpdesk team. We started experiencing the problem after we applied Aug 2009 security patches. 

It seems KB958469 is updating some of the RDP client files and thus causing the grid lines. I can reproduce the issue by un-installing and re-intstalling the KB958469.

Ok. Here I found some more interetsing things after digging more. 

My Windows 2003 SP2 has RDP version 5.2. If I update the RDP version to 6.0 using "WindowsServer2003-KB925876-v2-x86-ENU.exe" update and apply KB956744, The issue is not appearing.

Can someone validate my findings in their test lab?

Regards,
    Paparao
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:25 PM
  • We access the SCCM admin console in one of two ways:
    1. I (the SCCM admin) RDP onto my central SCCM server,
    2. Help Desk staff RDP onto one of two Terminal Servers and run the SCCM admin console there.

The Central SCCM server is Server 2003 Standard with SP2.  The Terminal Servers are Server 2003 R2 Enterprise with SP2.  All have \windows\system32\mstsc.exe version 5.2.

I installed Terminal Services client 6.0 on my central SCCM server, logged off and logged back on, and yes, the problem went away.

I will be interested in hearing what Premier Support has to say.  My guess is that they will recommend installing 6.0.

Thanks,

Nick.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Well, that is not a Configuration Manager update, however since we use RDP, it may cause issues. I'll let our guys know about it, though likely nothing we can do about it.
    Wally Mead
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Actually if you just install RDP 6 for your selected OS it fixes the issue. I just verified on 2 machines running XP pro.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Yes, I did validate with CSS. The issue only happens on systems with pre-RDC 6.0. As soon as you update your systems to RDP 6.0 such as in Windows XP SP3, the issue goes away.
    Wally Mead
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:37 PM