none
File Cluster Storage Replica vs Storage Spaces Direct RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I would like to build a 2 node filecluster with 20TB of date on 2 seperate locations without a San available. The round trip between the locations is about 1.5 Miliseconds so this shouln't be a problem.

But don't know if i should choose voor a Storage Space Direct cluster or a storage replica File Cluster. We intend to use if for general files/ user profiles / company data. 

i have read a lot of articles and tried both to set it up. Both solutions work on the hardware we choose. 

i hope someboday could help me

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:37 AM

Answers

• If you are not going to run virtual machines on top of the storage you are completely fine with Storage Replica. The best option would be however to virtualize your file server on top of S2D and make it highly available with automatic failover to another host if primary one fails. That's the most recommended and popular option nowadays.

Another concern here is that S2D is not necessarily the best option for a two-node deployment since the most "beefy" S2D features start with 4+ nodes. The major problem in such scenario is that you don't have any redundancy within a host (which means if you lose one host plus one drive - all your data will be gone). For 2-hosts it's highly recommended to use some kind of hardware RAID within each server and build the replication on top of it. That's not the possible S2D scenario (it won't work with RAID) but you still use Storage Replica on top or a free mirroring solution like StarWind VSAN https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-free if you need automatic failover and so on. 

Best regards,

Taras Shved

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIN:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Vincent Boots Friday, October 27, 2017 8:15 AM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi vdboot,

Based on my knowledge, S2D cluster (Storage Space Direct cluster ) and cluster storage replica are two concept.

S2D cluster is the storage settings and Storage Replica is targeted at disaster recovery scenarios. And of course you could use together.

Here are the article for more details

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/hyper-converged-solution-using-storage-spaces-direct

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-overview

Please correct me if misunderstanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:39 AM
  • If you are not going to run virtual machines on top of the storage you are completely fine with Storage Replica. The best option would be however to virtualize your file server on top of S2D and make it highly available with automatic failover to another host if primary one fails. That's the most recommended and popular option nowadays.

Another concern here is that S2D is not necessarily the best option for a two-node deployment since the most "beefy" S2D features start with 4+ nodes. The major problem in such scenario is that you don't have any redundancy within a host (which means if you lose one host plus one drive - all your data will be gone). For 2-hosts it's highly recommended to use some kind of hardware RAID within each server and build the replication on top of it. That's not the possible S2D scenario (it won't work with RAID) but you still use Storage Replica on top or a free mirroring solution like StarWind VSAN https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-free if you need automatic failover and so on. 

Best regards,

Taras Shved

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIN:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Vincent Boots Friday, October 27, 2017 8:15 AM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:50 AM