Uninstall Program Using MSI - Error "exit code is 1605, the execution status is FailureNonRetry" RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario,

We have included CISCO Unified Personal Communicator in our Images and now need to install a newer version. Since the earlier version, 7.0 was manually installed we are now having difficulty un-installing using the .msi file through SCCM 2007.

I have running both the "Per-system uninstall" and "Per-user uninstall" and have received the same results.

One post specifically noted a context mismatch between the installation and the uninstallation may exist and that you need to ensure that these match.

Not sure how to verify this or if this even the issue?

HELP

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:14 PM

Answers

• If you find a command / string you want to run on the client just modify the command line.

But create a new program instead of modify the "msi builtin" and advertise that.

Did you find a uninstall string of the application in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall] ?

Or as Jason said it could be in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall] if it was installed on the user.

But when you said you had the application in your image i assumed you have the application installed to the computer and not user.

• Marked as answer by Heinz98366 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:01 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:53 PM

All replies

• Try to find the application in the registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]

Then you should find the uninstall string that you can run on the client for the uninstallation.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Error code 1605 = "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

This can be caused by the application being installed "per-user" under a specific user's context. If so, then it can only be uninstalled under that same user's context; i.e., that user's account must be used to uninstall the application. Simply running the uninstall "per-user" again doesn't do anything unless it is run using the same user.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:49 PM
  • So silly question, how do I incorporate that string into the program advetisment?

Current Command Line = msiexec.exe /q ALLUSERS="" /m MSISDHVG /x "CiscoUnifiedPersonalCommunicatorSetupK9_ENU.msi"

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:30 PM
  • If you find a command / string you want to run on the client just modify the command line.

But create a new program instead of modify the "msi builtin" and advertise that.

Did you find a uninstall string of the application in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall] ?

Or as Jason said it could be in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall] if it was installed on the user.

But when you said you had the application in your image i assumed you have the application installed to the computer and not user.

• Marked as answer by Heinz98366 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:01 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:53 PM
  • So, using the I created a new program and used the following command line;

msiexec.exe /x {C34FBF52-DDB4-44BD-82F8-02EB0E726C66} /qn

The program did un-install but the desktop icon remains, even after a reboot?

Any ideas?

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Perhaps the shortcut on the desktop is not created by the msi?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:38 PM