none
The Hyper-V role management tools are not installed

Question

• Hello,

I setup my first Hyper V servers (2016) and created a failover cluster with three hosts.  I have one VM imported as a Role in the cluster.  However, I cannot "Connect" to the VM/Role and I cannot view the "Settings" from Failover Cluster Manager.  

When I click on either one, the Information column shows "The Hyper-V role management tools are not installed".  I have verified that the feature (Remote Server Administration Tools->Role Administration Tools->Hyper-V Management Tools) is installed on all three hosts and it is installed on my Windows 10 computer that I am trying to manage this from.

I am able to managing everything perfectly from Hyper-V Manager.  The only problem with Hyper-V manager is now that it is a Role in the failover cluster, some options cannot be managed from Hyper-V Manager.  So I am confused as to what is actually missing.  I appreciate your help!

-David

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>I have verified that the feature (Remote Server Administration Tools->Role Administration Tools->Hyper-V Management Tools) is installed on all three hosts

Do you mean the  error above after you clicking "New virtual machine..." in cluster manager ?

In my lab , I only installed hyper-v management tool but hyper-v role is not installed  then that error arose .

But , you mentioned :

1. "I setup my first Hyper V servers (2016) and created a failover cluster with three hosts. " .

2. "I have one VM imported as a Role in the cluster. "

"hyper-v server 2016" means the free version of hyper-v server ?

If yes , the fail cluster manager is running on other computer ?

If yes , 

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Hi Elton,

Yes, it is the free version of hyper-v server 2016.  The cluster runs on one of the three hosts.  My hosts (nodes) are named HyperV5, HyperV6, and HyperV7.  

The cluster is currently running from HyperV7.  But I think I have seen it move between hosts.

You have the correct error message that I am seeing.  I do see that when I click on New Virtual Machine.  I hadn't tried that yet.  I was seeing it when clicking on Settings... or on Connect...

When I click settings or connect I only see the message in the information column at the top.  Then if I click "Information Details" as it directs, then I get the popup error message.

Below is where I am verifying that the tools are installed on each of the three hosts, and similarly on my Windows 10 PC where I am running Failover Cluster Manager.  The Hyper-V role is also installed on all three hosts.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi Sir,

The hyper-v host can be managed by windows 10 computer with hyper-v manager remotely ?

The cluster is also managed by windows 10 computer installed RSAT ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Correct.  I can manage the hyper-v host from windows 10 with hyper-v manager.  Everything works perfectly before joining the cluster.  After joining the cluster, some options are not available from hyper-v manager.

I can also manage the cluster from windows 10 with RSAT.  I connect with Failover Cluster Manager.  Everything works except for the couple functions managed above.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:04 PM
  • Hi

you could managed to fix this? I am seeing this when trying to manage the cluster remotely from another 2016 server as the cluster nodes are server core

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:40 AM
  • it got fixed after adding me into local administrator group of the server from where I was running the cluster management GUI. I was administrator on hyper-v nodes in cluster already. I noticed the warning of elevation required while starting the cluster manager GUI but ignored as I was not going to manager a cluster on local machine. Looks like even for remote management its required, at least to invoke hyper-v mgmt. from cluster mgmt
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:50 AM