How to delegate certain certain controls in the App-V console RRS feed

• Question

• I am soon going live with App-V 4.5 CU1. I am the admin for that server but the currently laid out plans have our organization's software licensing group taking over the day-to-day sequencing and application assignments moving forward. I would like to be able to grant them access to the App-V console but for them to not have access to modify, or even see certain properties of the App-V Server, such as changing the RTSPS port for example, lol.

Is there any way for those users to only have access to certain nodes in the console, such as the Applications, File type associations, Packages, and Reports nodes?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:47 PM

Answers

• This is a good question.  I have never heard of a supported way to do this.  The actual GUI interface doesn't have this option, but yes it could be possible to modify the SQL permissions, but I would be very careful as you may get extra undesired results.

I would check with MS on this as I am not for sure this would be a supported scenario.

mattmcdermott
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I don't think you can do that. Haven't really thought about it, but as I can only remember the delegation of app-v admin rights and not beeing able to direct it to a more specific function it doesn't seem to fit this scenario.

I suppose you could start working with giving certain users permissions to certain tables etc - however that would probably be a lot of work.

Check out the whitepapers if there is anything worth reading;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

/Znack
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Well that's really the only suggestion I've heard that could work but I am not an Admin on our SQL farm so I would not know where to begin in that regard. It also sounds like more work than its worth, though it would be a nice feature to implement in future releases.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:30 PM
  • This is a good question.  I have never heard of a supported way to do this.  The actual GUI interface doesn't have this option, but yes it could be possible to modify the SQL permissions, but I would be very careful as you may get extra undesired results.

I would check with MS on this as I am not for sure this would be a supported scenario.

mattmcdermott
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Hi,

I doubt that giving rights to SQL Tables would be a solution because it is not the Admin but the IIS-ManagementService that connects to the database, but I never have checked this before...

Falko
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:11 AM