Matshita UJ-850S dvd drive no longer reads cd's after vista sp1 update RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated my windows home vista basic on my toshiba satellite a135-2276 laptop to sp1.  today, i went to rip music off a cd, and media center asked if i wanted to burn a disc.  i clicked no, and thought it was just a bad burn from my home computer, which is using xp on a dell.  However, when I went to install new software for work, it said the same thing, and the disk was a premade/manufactured disk.  I found the regedit suggestion to delete the upper and lower filters, but I could not find anything marked upper filter, and it still does the same thing.  i can watch movies fine, which I do at lunch, however, I can't read a cd.  any ideas?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:21 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

1.    Is none of CDs able to be read?

2.    Can it read DVDs?

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

==================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3 Reinstall the DVD Burner

=====================

1.    Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2.    Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3.    Right-click the DVD burner and click Uninstall.

4.    Restart the computer.

Step 4 Clean Boot

============

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

To get the issue resolved in a timely, I suggest also contacting Toshiba for more information as soon as possible.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:50 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

1.    Is none of CDs able to be read?

2.    Can it read DVDs?

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

==================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3 Reinstall the DVD Burner

=====================

1.    Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2.    Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3.    Right-click the DVD burner and click Uninstall.

4.    Restart the computer.

Step 4 Clean Boot

============

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

To get the issue resolved in a timely, I suggest also contacting Toshiba for more information as soon as possible.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:50 AM
  •  Emil Prokes wrote:
    I recently updated my windows home vista basic on my toshiba satellite a135-2276 laptop to sp1.  today, i went to rip music off a cd, and media center asked if i wanted to burn a disc.  i clicked no, and thought it was just a bad burn from my home computer, which is using xp on a dell.  However, when I went to install new software for work, it said the same thing, and the disk was a premade/manufactured disk.  I found the regedit suggestion to delete the upper and lower filters, but I could not find anything marked upper filter, and it still does the same thing.  i can watch movies fine, which I do at lunch, however, I can't read a cd.  any ideas?

My problem also started after the installation of SP1. But in my case the drive Reads and Writes DVDs and Reads CDs well but doen't burn CDs anymore. It always give some write error. I've tried Roxio and Nero.

Monday, August 11, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Hey same drive same update same problem... tried everything i can poosibly find on the internet to fix this... problem is mine is worse i cant even read dvds or cds some certain games will but thats all, wont burn or anything, i cant even reinstall my antivirus!!

I'm about to send it to the extended warranty within the next week however they only cover hardware not software issues and i have a feeling this is software, and they will charge me through the roof to fix it!!

I have tried the suggestions listed here and none of that helped can anyone inlightin me any further, i dont know alot about computers n the processes that make them work but i can follow instructions well SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Friday, August 15, 2008 8:49 AM
  • sorry the comp i have is a Toshiba Satellite A200 thanks

Friday, August 15, 2008 8:50 AM
  • This is not just a problem with Matsushita - if you look at the threads it appears all drive makes are involved.  I had a Microsoft Tecnician on line for over an hour trying to fix the problem.  We thought we had succeeded when Roxio DVD burner was removed and all mention of it was removed from the registry.  We rebooted many times and problem fixed BUT this morning I turned on and the drive had once again disappeared.  I ran a registry celan up programme, rebooted and it 'appears' OK again - but I remain sceptical.

A 'permanent' fix is needed for this - I too had no upper and lower filters to delete so the fix did not work for me first time.  All ran smoothly in XP so I am unimpressed with the 'we cannot be responsible for other software' line as there should be a reasonable amount of backward compatibility.  As a business user this has cost me a lot of time and left me wondering why on earth I upgraded (or should that be downgraded) in the first place!

Friday, September 5, 2008 9:49 AM