Will MS continue to have prior win updates available? RRS feed

• Question

• I work for Staples as an Easy Tech Certified Technician, repairing all types of Win systems. With MS discontinuing all support for XP in April, I was wondering whether they would still have all the prior updates available that they have issued throughout the years available through Win Updates.

I ask as I know that I will be have the need to do O/S installs on XP systems, when they come in with corrupted O/S's, heavily infected systems, or where the hard drive has crapped out.

Yea, I realize the standard line will be ... you should convince your customers to upgrade to 8.1, but there are a number of folks on fixed incomes who can't afford to buy a new system and their current systems don't have the ram or processor speeds necessary to upgrade to 8.1.

Would appreciate any feedback you folks @ MS can offer.

Best Regards,

Bob

Saturday, January 25, 2014 2:55 AM

Answers

• Yes, I think old updates will be still there. MS has confirmed that no updates will be there after April, but no confirmation of old updates. You can download all patches on your update server and deploy them whenever required.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by BadBob52 Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:50 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:23 PM
  • I work for Staples as an Easy Tech Certified Technician, repairing all types of Win systems. With MS discontinuing all support for XP in April, I was wondering whether they would still have all the prior updates available that they have issued throughout the years available through Win Updates.

I ask as I know that I will be have the need to do O/S installs on XP systems, when they come in with corrupted O/S's, heavily infected systems, or where the hard drive has crapped out.

Yea, I realize the standard line will be ... you should convince your customers to upgrade to 8.1, but there are a number of folks on fixed incomes who can't afford to buy a new system and their current systems don't have the ram or processor speeds necessary to upgrade to 8.1.

Best Regards,

Bob

You can still download updates for Windows 2000, so I am sure the XP Updates will be supported for a long time.

BUT - I would NOT depend on that forever.  Personally, if I were you I would take a couple of days and download SP 2, SP 3 and all the updates after SP 3 and keep hard copies of them onsite for when/if the online ones become unavailable.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

• Marked as answer by BadBob52 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:14 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:25 PM
  • I would not depend on them being out there so download the ISO

Microsoft likes to pull the rug out from under your feet.

I plan on running XP well past microsoft being the leader in operating systems and having a large marketshare

wait I already did that

• Marked as answer by BadBob52 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:16 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:30 PM

All replies

• Windows Update works normally for Windows XP until end of support for Windows XP, before that you have access to all updates for Windows XP.

It is not necessary to just upgrade to Windows 8, it is possible to upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 7 which are supported , but Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 is recommended because it latest version of Windows with new features.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:50 AM
  • Also, MS can provide you patches after April if you pay them extra, I guess its $200+ per PC.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241912/Microsoft_will_craft_XP_patches_after_April_14_but_not_for_you

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Thank you for replying, but it's not really the answer that I was looking for, as it was not answered whether the prior updates would be available. Will the prior updates still be available?
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:32 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but it still doesn't answer my prior question.
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:34 AM
  • Yes, I think old updates will be still there. MS has confirmed that no updates will be there after April, but no confirmation of old updates. You can download all patches on your update server and deploy them whenever required.

• Marked as answer by BadBob52 Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:50 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Arnav.
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:01 PM

Best Regards,

Bob

You can still download updates for Windows 2000, so I am sure the XP Updates will be supported for a long time.

BUT - I would NOT depend on that forever.  Personally, if I were you I would take a couple of days and download SP 2, SP 3 and all the updates after SP 3 and keep hard copies of them onsite for when/if the online ones become unavailable.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

• Marked as answer by BadBob52 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:14 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:25 PM
  • I would not depend on them being out there so download the ISO

Microsoft likes to pull the rug out from under your feet.

I plan on running XP well past microsoft being the leader in operating systems and having a large marketshare

wait I already did that

• Marked as answer by BadBob52 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:16 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Kamin, and that's good advice. Turns out we have all the SPs. As for the list of other updates after SP3, is there a list available somewhere so I know what to d/l & save?
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:16 AM