aero theme deleted by my son RRS feed

• Question

• Go to Control Panel
  • Select Personalization
  • Select Window Color and Appearance
  • Choose Windows Aero in Color scheme.

i have done the above aero theme is not there at all my son tampered with my pc he says he downloaded the eygipt theme then removed it along with aero

can i download it again if so can you post me a direct link to were the download is and how do i sinstall it ..i did download a zip file  it did not give instructions and the last thing i want to do is reformat..i canty run dreamscen it says i need to be running windows aero..

my pc is fully compattable and up to date

Friday, August 22, 2008 4:17 PM

Answers

• user="rick_1965"]

System restore did not work all i want is a link to download and reinstall the vista aero theme

ive tried system restore my son deleted both themes i have tried system restore and rolled back to the day before he went to town ..its not come back

Rick

There is no way to simply reinstall the Aero component in Vista. It is integrated into the operating system.

There are certain files that make up the structure of the Aero component, but without knowing exactly what files were deleted, it's difficult to advise you on how to recover the Aero component.

I will try to help you recover, but this is a complex procedure and you need to work with me on this.

The first thing I need to know is what tools you have available.

Questions.

What version of Vista are you using?  (eg: Home Premium, Ultimate, Business)

Do you know what program was used to install that "eygipt theme" or which website your Son downloaded that theme from? If I have this information, I can go to that website and try to determine exactly how this custom theme works and what files it changes, deletes or replaces.

To determine what files were deleted, perform the following.

Open Windows Explorer. Go to the following folders and check for these files. (File names are in Bold)

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

aero.theme

Windows Classic.theme

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero

aero.msstyles

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\en-US

aero.msstyles.mui

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor

shellstyle.dll

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor\en-US

shellstyle.dll.mui

Let me know what you find.

Ronnie what do you mean by System File Checker utility its not showing  up ...illdownload the drivers again for my graphics card

The System File Checker utility is a utility that tracks, backs up, and can replace corrupted or missing system files. If you followed my instructions, this should work? Make sure you are logged on with an Administrator account and that you use the 'Run As Administrator' option on the right click menu.

Try to run it again, using the previous instructions. If this doesn't work, let me know exactly what happened when you tried to run the utility.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:15 PM

All replies

• user="rick_1965"]
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Select Personalization
  • Select Window Color and Appearance
  • Choose Windows Aero in Color scheme.

•  

Just to be accurate, after you select 'Windows color and appearance', there is a link at the bottom of that dialog called "Open classic appearance properties for more color options". This is the link you need to click to get to the 'Color Schemes' selection.

i have done the above aero theme is not there at all my son tampered with my pc he says he downloaded the eygipt theme then removed it along with aero can i download it again if so can you post me a direct link to were the download is and how do i sinstall it ..i did download a zip file  it did not give instructions and the last thing i want to do is reformat..i canty run dreamscen it says i need to be running windows aero..

my pc is fully compattable and up to date

What zip file did you download and from where?

I'm not familiar with the 'eygipt' theme or what it changes when it is installed or uninstalled?

The first thing to do is try a System Restore point and go back to a point prior to when the eygipt theme was installed. Here is a link for the step by step instructions.

How to use System Restore in Windows Vista:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html

If this does not work, reinstall the latest driver for the installed video card. Go to the manufacturers website for that device and download install the driver. Reboot the system after after the installation.

If the problem still is not fixed, run the System File Checker utility. This will replace any system files with the most current version.

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories, right click the Command Prompt item and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

Click Continue on the UAC prompt.

In the command window, type following command.

SFC /SCANNOW

Press ENTER.

Be patient, this could take some time to complete.

Let us know the results. Include the exact text and description of any error messages that you may receive.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:06 PM
  •  

System restore did not work all i want is a link to download and reinstall the vista aero theme

ive tried system restore my son deleted both themes i have tried system restore and rolled back to the day before he went to town ..its not come back

Ronnie what do you mean by System File Checker utility its not showing  up ...illdownload the drivers again for my graphics card

Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:44 AM
  • user="rick_1965"]

Rick

There is no way to simply reinstall the Aero component in Vista. It is integrated into the operating system.

There are certain files that make up the structure of the Aero component, but without knowing exactly what files were deleted, it's difficult to advise you on how to recover the Aero component.

I will try to help you recover, but this is a complex procedure and you need to work with me on this.

The first thing I need to know is what tools you have available.

Questions.

What version of Vista are you using?  (eg: Home Premium, Ultimate, Business)

Do you know what program was used to install that "eygipt theme" or which website your Son downloaded that theme from? If I have this information, I can go to that website and try to determine exactly how this custom theme works and what files it changes, deletes or replaces.

To determine what files were deleted, perform the following.

Open Windows Explorer. Go to the following folders and check for these files. (File names are in Bold)

aero.theme

Windows Classic.theme

aero.msstyles

aero.msstyles.mui

shellstyle.dll

shellstyle.dll.mui

Let me know what you find.

The System File Checker utility is a utility that tracks, backs up, and can replace corrupted or missing system files. If you followed my instructions, this should work? Make sure you are logged on with an Administrator account and that you use the 'Run As Administrator' option on the right click menu.

Try to run it again, using the previous instructions. If this doesn't work, let me know exactly what happened when you tried to run the utility.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  

so i checked these files and they are in my computer

aero.theme

Windows Classic.theme

aero.msstyles

aero.msstyles.mui

shellstyle.dll

shellstyle.dll.mui

i did  a SFC/SCANNOW and it says windows resource protection found corrupte files but was unable to fix

some of them. Details included in the cbs.log windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log. tried to open the cbs log but access denied?

When i try clicking on the file aero.theme it says error loading theme. The theme could not be loaded because the theme

service is not running file C:\windows\resources\themes\aero.them. Please i haven't a clue what happened but

my baby girl spilled coffee and my keyboard and after that is when this happened. I don't know what went wrong.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:39 AM
  • i went to control panel then admin tools checked servises and low and behold themes had been deactivated my problem solved ..

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:33 PM
  • I had the same problem hapen to me but it happened when I installed PC Tools "Registry Mechanic" v8

It was supposed to be Vista friendly but obviously not.

I tried the method Ronnie Vernon suggested and ran the system file checker and rebooted after and my Aero theme was back.

I'm running an Aspire 6920g laptop with Vista Premium

Thans for this forum.
    • Proposed as answer by Omnisciens Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:00 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for letting us know that this fix worked for you.

Regards,

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, September 22, 2008 9:02 PM
  • even though i applied the vista theme .... my system restores to windows classic theme after system reboot... except the arrow and booting symbol appears in vista theme mode but taskbar n everytlhing else changes to windows classic....

i tried sfc and it says some files cant be checked and i tried system restore.. it too didnt work ..........

plz help!!!!!!!

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Here i have the download link for you hope i helped you 
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Well the problem i have is that the aero theme folder thing is there in the themes folder but everytime i try to activate it a message pops up that says "the theme couldnt be loaded because the theme service is not running         file c:/windows/resources/themes/aero.theme"  can any one help me plz plz i want the aero theme back!!!

Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:40 AM
  • @ firefox:
    Start > type services.msc in the search box > <enter> > OK the UAC prompt.
    Scroll down to Themes.  Double-click it.  Change the startup type (pulldown menu) to 'automatic', click Apply.  Click 'start the service'.  Once the service has started, hit OK, and close Services.
    You should now be able to start Aero.

HTH,

Chris

Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:20 PM
  • What if the Theme service is not listed in the services manager?

Same problem... I have tried everything to get the Aero to work again but when I look at the services, 'theme' is not listed at all. I've tried restoring windows vista premium to no avail. I can't restart a service if it's not listed. Plz help!!

Patrizio66

Monday, January 12, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hello,

i have this same exact problem.. but my story is a bit different.

my son wanted to install a vista mac theme. the installation got stopped by norton halfway, and so he decided to delete the theme altogether. Along with it, he deleted stuff from the main folder.. you know, the folder that has the user account name on it. since then the desktop hasn't been showing up, and the aero theme is gone. I sometimes find the option for Windows Vista Theme in the scrollbar during appearance properites, but when i click it this message pops up

"The theme could not be loaded because the theme service is not running.

File: C:\windows\Resources\Themes\sero.theme"

Please help me,

Sincerely,

Murali
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:27 AM
  • About a year and a half later, reading your post, you, Chris Cupler, just saved my poor Aero theme.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:58 AM
  • I had the same problem hapen to me but it happened when I installed PC Tools "Registry Mechanic" v8

It was supposed to be Vista friendly but obviously not.

I tried the method Ronnie Vernon suggested and ran the system file checker and rebooted after and my Aero theme was back.

I'm running an Aspire 6920g laptop with Vista Premium

Thans for this forum.

Same here with Registry Mechanic ver 10 when tried choosing tuning up services and chose minimal services.
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:01 PM