none
procexp 16.31 - process list showing wrong icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I noticed this recently in procexp(64) 16.31 ... when I have the PE window open often I see some of the process list icons spontaneously change.

The specific icon displayed varies: it might be a generic "blank page" or service icon, or it might be the icon for any application that is currently running ...   but all of a sudden, a whole bunch of unrelated processes will display with the same, wrong icon in the process list.  It seems to start in the middle of the list: the icons are correct to a certain point (which varies) and from then on every process displays the same icon.  What icon is displayed continues to change - sometimes frequently, sometimes staying the same for long periods.  The only way to get the "right" icons back in the whole list is to close PE and restart it.

I'm seeing this on several machines: all Win10 Home 64-bit.  It doesn't seem to affect any other PE functions ... it's just annoying, e.g., when you're scanning the process list looking for something and can't find it easily because it's shown with the wrong icon.

"Verify Image Signatures" is off, and symbols are not configured.

Bug? 

George

Monday, August 10, 2020 10:08 PM

Answers

• It is a known bug in Process Explorer 16.31 and resolved in 16.32

Ref: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2ef45673-55dd-4d13-9a02-a0610deacb42/bug-process-icon-display-bug-in-v1631?forum=procexplorer

• Edited by __nullptr__ Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by gneuner Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:20 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:54 AM

All replies

• This is not Process Explorer related, but have you tried resetting the Windows icon cache? It's that series of iconcache_?.db files from %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer. There should be some guides available explaining how to make sure explorer doesn't run while deleting the cache.
    • Edited by alexm(msft) Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by gneuner Friday, August 14, 2020 6:34 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by gneuner Monday, August 17, 2020 4:42 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

I reset the icon cache(s) as directed on some of the machines, and so far I have not seen a recurrence of PE showing the wrong icons on those stations ... so I am hopeful that this is the answer. 

I do wonder, however, what caused the cache corruption in the 1st place:  the machines involved have different uses and, largely, different software ... and why the only visible symptom was PE's process list.

Thanks,

George

Friday, August 14, 2020 6:33 PM
  • Well, I thought this might have been the answer, but PE is showing the wrong icons again just a couple of days after having reset the Explorer icon cache.  Since nothing new has been installed [not even any updates], I'm having a hard time believing the cache could have become corrupted again.

Oh well ... thanks for the idea.

Monday, August 17, 2020 4:49 AM
  • It is a known bug in Process Explorer 16.31 and resolved in 16.32

Ref: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2ef45673-55dd-4d13-9a02-a0610deacb42/bug-process-icon-display-bug-in-v1631?forum=procexplorer

• Edited by __nullptr__ Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by gneuner Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:20 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:54 AM
  • I wasn't aware that there had been an update ... thanks!

> Ref: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2ef45673-55dd-4d13-9a02-a0610deacb42/bug-process-icon-display-bug-in-v1631?forum=procexplorer

Honestly, how do people find things in these forums?  I always search for answers before I try posting.  "16.31 icon display problem" didn't find that.

Sigh!

Thanks,

George

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:20 PM